PDA

View Full Version : MySQL on 5.1.1

kjackson7_93
01-12-2007, 11:41 PM
I just downloaded and created a 5.1.1 CD.

I don't see how to start MySQL. I've used previous versions of Knoppix and it wasn't a problem.

I tried using mysqlmanager but received error about a password file and a pid file. I was able to google and fix the password issue.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Keith

hanson1072
01-13-2007, 10:40 PM
I'm having a similar problem starting MySQL from the LiveCD. I've tried using the mysqlmanager and I get an error that it can't locate mysqld, which makes sense because this does not appear to exist on the CD. Is this an incomplete installation of MySQL or is there some post-burn configuring that needs to be done?

I also thought the LiveCD had postgreSQL capability, but I haven't been able to run that either---am I mistaken?

kayl
01-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Snip from changelog:

- [CD] removed mysql because of space reasons.

Which is a ... bummer. :(

http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/KNOPPIX-CHANGELOG.txt

Harry Kuhman
01-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Snip from changelog:

- [CD] removed mysql because of space reasons.
Which is a ... bummer.
Not really. It is still on the DVD. More importantly, remember that Knoppix is intended as a Live CD (or DVD) intro to Linux, or as a portable system you can carry with you, not as an every day operational system. If you want Linux with SQL you cn easily install Debian and have a far more stable system than Knoppix would ever be, which seem to me the reasonable approach to take if doing sql work.

kayl
01-20-2007, 08:39 PM
You're right. If Knoppix needed more room, MySQL was the obvious choice and the one that I'd have probably made if I was the decision maker.

I can't image there are many running a database application from a LiveCD. However, one of the many reasons I use Knoppix is as a learning tool. Which means I should be more than happy to relearn the remastering process.

I just have a web-crawling Perl script that does a lot of scraping and crunching that I wrote using the Perl DBI. When I originally wrote it, I specifically used MySQL as a learning tool. Now I just have to re-write it using data structures if I want to run in from the LiveCD (or remaster).

kjackson7_93
01-23-2007, 04:47 AM
I use Knoppix to teach a e commerse course and use MySQL as the database tool. The school where I teach has Windows installed on all the computers so I give each student a Knoppix CD so they can learn basic Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP/Perl. Its a shame to leave MySQL off this distribution. I agree noone is going to be using the CD to write production systems but if the purpose is to learn open source tools then leaving MySQL off is a poor choice.

hanson1072
01-24-2007, 01:34 AM
What you all are saying makes sense and the LiveCD does whet my appetite for Linux---I'm totally new at this. Here's the tech problem I need to solve:

I rotate between work sites that only have terminals with embedded Windows XP and very little RAM. Some of them are networked, some are not. I need a portable OS & environment that I can take between work sites, specifically a database. I tried Portable OpenOffice but the java-based app is too bulky and slow and just isn't practical. Knoppix would be perfect if I can get a working database going, either MySQL or PostgreSQL. I have experience with web design using Access, SQL Server, PHP and MySQL. I know the basic shell commands and I'm not afraid to tinker. It sounds like I need to remaster Knoppix to put in either MySQL or postgreSQL. I have found the FAQ for this and will read it tonight.

Bottom line is: Any other ideas on how to solve this problem? Anything I missed or haven't thought about? In addition to the FAQ, can you recommend a good NOOB resource for customizing Knoppix?.

Thanks in advance

drb
01-24-2007, 10:45 AM
You could try using a pen drive to store data / programmes (myconfig and persistent home) (configuration and home directory can be restored at start-up).

Alternatively try another LiveCd woth MySQL (you'll still need to take your data on a pen drive though).

drb

hanson1072
01-24-2007, 06:04 PM
That's exactly the direction I'm heading in. Right now I'm using DSL on a thumb drive to boot on the thin clients (they don't have CD drives). This won't work at my last site because it has a Dell with front USB ports that DSL doesn't recognize (so no thumb drive for data storage). Knoppix works well on that machine. I think I'm going to need a small portable USB drive (a real drive rather than a thumb drive) with customized Knoppix for all sites. I read the remastering FAQ and it looks pretty straightforward (silly silly me---nothing is ever straightforward).

I'm always open to other recommendations though. Thanks for the input

mr-roboto
02-03-2007, 10:08 AM
That's exactly the direction I'm heading in. Right now I'm using DSL on a thumb drive to boot on the thin clients (they don't have CD drives). This won't work at my last site because it has a Dell with front USB ports that DSL doesn't recognize (so no thumb drive for data storage). Knoppix works well on that machine. I think I'm going to need a small portable USB drive (a real drive rather than a thumb drive) with customized Knoppix for all sites. I read the remastering FAQ and it looks pretty straightforward (silly silly me---nothing is ever straightforward).

I'm always open to other recommendations though. Thanks for the input

Try Slax (http://www.slax.org/). The Server edition comes w/ MYSQL+APACHE+DNS+PHP+KDE, is easier to remaster than KNOPPIX and can easily fit on a thumb drive (the server is <300MB, well-customized < 500MB !) What's great about SLAX and is superior to most live CD distros is that you can remaster it as easliy in Windows or Linux, no exagerration.

I'm not able to live exclusively in the Linux world at this time (like most long-time Windows users).) With SLAX, you simply add their modules (compressed Slackware pkgs, of which there literally hundreds) to the /modules sub-dir of the ISO image, reburn, and go.

Don't get me wrong after that little pitch for Slax. Knoppix is my #2 distro, it's simply more Linux-centric, like the other Linux live CDs....Jet

hanson1072
02-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks so much for the tip, I'll check it out. I'm a relative noob so all the different distros are confusing. If this worked for you for web development it sounds like what I need.

mr-roboto
02-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Thanks so much for the tip, I'll check it out. I'm a relative noob so all the different distros are confusing. If this worked for you for web development it sounds like what I need.

In case you want to check out others (altho Slax is prob all you'll need), check out LiveCDList (http://livecdlist.com/), LiveDistro (http://livedistro.org/), and Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LiveDistros). They make easier for you shop around and find what you're looking for....Jet

markpreston
02-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Hi mr roboto
Thanks for the link to Slax. I have just tried it out and it works fine on my laptop.
To hanson1072
You might like to read
http://truth.positive-internet.com/~mpreston/tp/tp0412intro.html
to get some ideas for saving and restoring mysql database details to a USB stick using knoppix.
Regards,
Mark