PDA

View Full Version : Possibly new software? For instant messaging and internet

kriko
05-22-2003, 02:47 PM
Hey all.

I was just thinking, since Knoppix is so damn good thing. It might be kewl to add the following software because of various reasons, they are pointed out below.

Mozilla Firebird - possible replacement for Mozilla. Mozilla Firebird, what was also known under the old name - Phoenix is a free, mozilla based extremely fast internet browser. It loads quickly into memory, what I think beats Mozilla any way. Also, has all Mozilla features, such as tabs or popup blocking. It does not take much memory, infact, it's mostly even faster than IE under Windows. Altho the current release is not 1.0, I have found it to be very stable. And has never crashed for me. It also supports automatic image resizing and bunch of other things. As I said before, this could be a very good replacement for Mozilla or just addition if you want to keep Mozilla. And btw, if you know about future Mozilla development, then it will brake into parts, e-mail client and web browser, what is going to be based on Firebird. And well, in KNOPPIX it is important that programs load fast and don't eat alot of memory :)

AMSN - Alvaros MSN - a MSN messaging client for linux. Pretty stable and good I think. I think it would be ideal for KNOPPIX. Altho, Kopete messenger is pretty good, it has to be configured too much before you can use it. Why would this client be needed? Well, the reasons are that many and many people use Instant Messenger more now. I personally have to download it every time when I boot to KNOPPIX. It is small, so it would not take alot memory. I am really begging you to add this to KNOPPIX. So please? But as I said, another solution could be Kopete, because it has support for other protocols also.

Tuxracer - well, ok who of you plays games in linux? I do :) and tuxracer is one of the best. It would just be so damn good to have it :):) I am talking about the free version, I think it was under GPL. Some 0.6, anyway, the one you get under linux apt-get If you don't already know, then tuxracer is a cool game.

At the moment, I did not remember anything else so important what would be killer adds for Knoppix. But anyone, who thinks something could be added, please post here then :) And well, I think there is also some stuff to throw away. I will probably make a list later.

iconfly
05-22-2003, 07:32 PM
I have been running firebird for four days now. It certainly is speedy and so far stable. Does'nt need much space. Ditch Mozilla for Mozilla Firebird?
What do others think. :roll:

Henk Poley
05-23-2003, 06:14 PM
I'd say yes :-)

Anyways, Firebird is (will be) the new interface of the browser in the "Mozilla Suite".

(btw, could *somebody* update the netscape links in XFCE, thank you)

aay
05-23-2003, 06:34 PM
I have been running firebird for four days now. It certainly is speedy and so far stable. Does'nt need much space. Ditch Mozilla for Mozilla Firebird?

I once suggested the same thing and somone disagreed by pointing to the fact that the mozilla mail client has really good imap support. I didn't use imap at the time, but now I'm starting to and I tend to agree.

kriko
05-23-2003, 06:57 PM
Altho, you could just install Mozilla mail client separately and then Phoenix, how about that?

monkeyman
05-24-2003, 02:00 PM
FireBird is just fantastic and my preferred browser, but I have to say that switching from the Mozilla suite for the Knoppix dist is probably not a good idea. Knoppix has got to be the best newbie dist around and it does feel more familiar for a Windows user to have an integrated (as in the browser) mail client. Consider it a small sacrifice to the greater good of saving more people from the clutches of M$.