PDA

View Full Version : KDM , Firefox, Kaffeine crash frequently in HD-install

JediatNight
01-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Hi all,

I have a knoppix 5.1 Hd install on my pc. My problem is Firefox, VLC, kaffeine and KDM are crashing often while I'm working and its really irritating.

I think most packages from the Debian Testing ( Etch) group.

Did anyone experience the same problem? How do we fix these?

my pc configuration :

Amd duron 800 Mhz,
512 MB ram,
64kb cache.

Waiting for your responses.
Thanks in advance

Harry Kuhman
01-14-2007, 07:57 PM
That's interesting, I don't see them crash on a regular Debian Etch install. I wonder if there is anything to be learned from that.

JediatNight
01-15-2007, 02:35 AM
That's interesting, I don't see them crash on a regular Debian Etch install. I wonder if there is anything to be learned from that.

Do you think its a problem with the hardware? I had used knoppix 5.0 earlier and it was very much stable even though all packages were from the Debian Testing group.

Debian sarge works without any problems too.

Can you suggest how I can look for the errors and how to interpret the log files?

Harry Kuhman
01-15-2007, 03:17 AM
I certainly can't rule out hardware problems with your computer. One obvious thing to try would be to boot up a Knoppix disc and type in memtest at the boot prompt. But if Debian works fine on the computer and installed Knoppix keep crashing then I suspect the OS that isn't really intened for installing to hard disk. On the other hand, if Debian crashed too then that give more knowledge.