PDA

View Full Version : "can't find KNOPPIX filesystem"

stevenw331
01-16-2007, 07:27 PM
I am a very new user to KNOPPIX and am seeking help. One of the latest topics on the forum about "can't find KNOPPIX filesystem" is also happening to me. I use KNOPPIX daily and have it installed on hard drives and also run it daily from a CD. Over the past 6 months I have never seen this error until I started building PC's with the Intel DG965RY motherboard. I believe this problem is some type of conflict with the Intel chipset. I have seen this problem discussed on the Intel forum and there are several Intel motherboards having the same problem. An Intel rep suggested a BIOS update for Linux but that didn't help. I am hoping you have some suggestions. We are going to check and possibly reburn the CD but I have my doubts about that helping. I have built nearly 150 PC's in the last 6 months using the same CD's, versions 3.7 and 5.0. We also tried the latest 5.1.1. All versions give the same error message.

coffey7
01-17-2007, 12:13 AM
I have the same problem and have been looking around for the answer. I will post it when I fix the problem. I am going on an all out search for the answer.

marhleet
01-17-2007, 10:54 AM
with your latest new Intel board, did you also change cd-drive type ?
that's the more important piece of info needed.

if not, then def something with the board
or cheatcodes... after 150 systems, have you had time or need to play with various codes ?
I've not, so I can't help apart from nodma might help, without non-std ide interface drivers
code for use plain ide ? atapicd for one

can you get a dos screen for a lspci ?

stevenw331
01-17-2007, 01:57 PM
All 150 systems are identical except for the motherboard. I have tried some codes like nodma but they don't help.
After the error occurs I am stuck in the KNOPPIX shell with limited commands.

JediatNight
01-17-2007, 10:03 PM
did you try disabling any advanced hardware detection and try to boot .. maybe booting the expert mode might help

marhleet
01-18-2007, 10:01 AM
ok, same deal but slightly different tack
all systems are identical
apart from ....... serial numbers on the cd-rom drives
might be the same type of drive
but won't be the same drive (unless you are building off a test bench)

can you swap the drive and re-test ?
might be a dud cd-drive
me mums dvd half booted the cd
got the splash screen, and most of the startup
but no desktop
then i found it wouldn't play a dvd either
new drive
very finicky when going kaput

stevenw331
01-18-2007, 02:45 PM
Yes, I have tried the Expert code along with different CD drives. I have seen this issue discussed elsewhere and I am leaning towards the problem being the Intel chipset. I guess if that is truly where the problem lies then either Linux or Intel will find a fix.

caballan
02-13-2007, 05:56 AM
I was getting the knoppix file system error when trying to use a DVD burner as my primary. I changed to a normal DVD drive, and it worked. That was the only thing I changed. Hope that is all it takes for everyone else.