PDA

View Full Version : newbie question about hdd access

swelp
01-18-2007, 09:50 AM
I know that there's probably a simple answer to this...
How can I access my hard drive when booting from the live knoppix cd? I can't create the entry in fstab because I can't write to the disk.
Is this possible?

Harry Kuhman
01-18-2007, 09:57 AM
answer 6 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman)

swelp
01-18-2007, 10:07 AM
The problem isn't that I can't write to the NTFS partition, it's that I can't mount hda1 at all. When I try to mount it, it says that it can't find it in the fstab...

Harry Kuhman
01-18-2007, 10:14 AM
You should have a desktop icon for each partition (hda1, hda5 and so on). Thjese are the icons talked about in abswer 6. You should be able to open in read only mode by clicking on them.

swelp
01-18-2007, 10:15 AM
You should have a desktop icon for each partition (hda1, hda5 and so on). Thjese are the icons talked about in abswer 6. You should be able to open in read only mode by clicking on them.

that's what I was hoping to find, but it only lists "floppy", "knoppix" and "trash". no hda1 or anything else. Kinda bums me up.

Harry Kuhman
01-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Want to tell us a little about what's going on? What thpe of disk, what type of interface, what should be out there and so on? Maybe testdisk or gpart can help, but we don't have enough details yet.