PDA

View Full Version : unable to connect to internet- network driver problem

newbie36
01-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Hi all,

I am new in linux. few weeks ago I have just installed knoppix 4.0.1. everything is fine, the only problem is that i couldnt access the internet. I have search through many forums and try out the solution, but still it doesnt work. I can use Internet when in windows (dual booting), and this make me sure that I am using the correct IP address, I am using static Ip address, not DHCP)..

During the installation using the live cd, there is warning about the network card is not detected. Therefore, I have tried to download the appropriate network driver for my network card . I am using Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI Gigabit Ethernet NIC (I have checked in windows). So am I right that I have to download driver for that network card but for linux. I couldn't find the driver for that version, instead I only can find for 'linux-8169(221)'..Is it compatible??. so I have downloded the file, and use unzip command to unzip it (since it is in the .zip)..below is my command used and the result obtained:

su
unzip linux-8169(221).zip
cd src # since there is no linux-8169(221) after unzip
make clean modules

here are what I get:

Makefile:28:/home/myname/Desktop/src/src/makefile-linux26x: No such file or directory
Make: *** No rule to make target '/home/myname/Desktop/src/src/Makefile-linux26x'. Stop.

For your information, the src folder contains those files:
Makefile, Makefile-linux24x, Makefile-linux26x, README, /modules, r8169_n.c, /src

and inside the modules and src folder there is nothing except ., .., and .tmp_versions

I have also try out this:

'pump -i eth0' which i got "Operation failed".. then i tried to 'modprobe 8168 (and also 8169)' and it returned "FATAL: module 8168(or 8169) not found"

when I tried to do 'ifconfig -a', I got the following message:

eth0 link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-E0-18-00-03-EE-EC-b9-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
Broadcast MULTICAST MTU:1500 metric:1
AX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:12 errors:4 dropped:4 overruns:0 carrier:0 collision:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0.b) TX bytes:432 (432.0 b)

lo Link encap: Local lookback
inet addr: 127.0.0.1 mask:255.0.0.0
up LOOKBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 metric:1
RX packets:86 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:86 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:6105 (5.9 KiB) Tx bytes:6105 (5.9 KiB)

then I did 'netcardconfig', and here is the output:

xlib: connection to ':0.0" refused by server
xlib: No protocol specified

I have read through one forum, that suggest to edit the /etc/modules-2.6.12. I have added 8168100 and 8169100, save and restart my laptop (ASUS A8F),..Before that i configured my IP address. so when I login back after rebooting my laptop, I tried to once again make 'ifconfig -a'..and this time it can recognize the ip address, broadcast and mask, which is better :)

I have also try the 'route -n' command in which i get kernel IP routing table. In the table, it state that the interface is eth0, which means it can detect the 'eth0', other columns only state the ip address, gateway, mask, flag, metrics, ref, and use..

Can anybody help me?..i am really (really) stuck in this..I really need to figure out this and solve the problem, since it is quite tedious and tiring for me to switch between linux and windows each time i want to get connected to the internet..

Or anybody knows where can i find the correct driver for my network card? I have search through almost related website and couldnt find any.

thanks in advance for your help..!

hal8000
01-22-2007, 06:38 PM
You need to install the kenel sources when creating modules for your kernel version. You also need to be in /usr/src/linux when
issuing the make clean modules command.

However you are using an older version of Knoppix and if you download Knoppix 5.1.1 it will have kernel 2.6.19
You may find that the modules are updated and your card will work. If you have broadband why not download knoppix and see if the card is detected from the live cd?