PDA

View Full Version : What is saved in Persistent Home?

ammonman
01-21-2007, 03:43 AM
Hi all,
Pretty new to Linux and Knoppix but having a great time learning. Can anyone give me some idea of what information is saved to the Persistent Home? I have searched the Forums and can't seem to find this anywhere. I am trying to understand what I should save to my USB key and what will save in the Persistent Home.

Thanks

AmmonMan

Harry Kuhman
01-21-2007, 03:55 AM
please see answer #7 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).

sag
01-25-2007, 01:03 AM
I am trying to understand what I should save to my USB key and what will save in the Persistent Home.

If you saved your persistent home as a file, rather than as a complete partition, you can browse to root and see a folder there named knoppix.img. (It may have the same name if you saved it as an entire partition, but I have never done it that way so I can't tell you for sure) I believe that is where the contents of your persistent home reside. I don't have knoppix running right now, so I may not have the directory correct. Do a search on knoppix.img and when you find it, browse within the folder to see what is maintained there. With knoppix, I find that I have to both set up the persistent home, and save my knoppix configuration to keep all changes that I make.

onemyndseye
01-25-2007, 10:29 AM
This is correct ^^^

it saves your home directory and IN THEORY saves only the changes to the / filesystem...

That to say: the image file is merged with the KNOPPIX filesystem in order to give you RW access to it.....in theory :)

Take Care,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye