PDA

View Full Version : Remote logon to Terminal Server using old PC's.

pieterkahts
01-21-2007, 06:40 PM
I want to log on to a Windows Server 2003 running Terminal services with old PC's.
The idea is to utilise old PC's that are not capable of running XP etc. Some of these PC's cannot run KDE as there is not enough memory.

It must also be foolproof because the dumb terminals will be used at a school. IE only the login screen shows. they will not use any of the Applications on the CD. The old PC's will only have a CD rom and maybe a stiffy. All these PC's are currently running MS Win 98/95.

How can I create a startup disk that will logon remotely without starting the GUI?

trippohippo
01-22-2007, 06:43 PM
My school does just that... on OLD IBM 340s! It has been some time since I have thought about this so I can only give you some direction. Start with www.lstp.org. I think what my school uses are NIC carts installed on the 340s with a PXE bootrom included on it. This basically scans the network for a running terminal server... and just works (as long as the terminal server is properly set up (which is very easy in Knoppix). The other option is to load a bootrom on a floppy and boot the terminals with the floppy in the drive. I think there is a way to install the bootrom on the hd, but I'm not sure. LTSP should have many answers for you. Also check out http://www.etherboot.org/db/, http://www.rom-o-matic.net/ . Hope this helped.[/url]

pieterkahts
01-23-2007, 07:47 AM
Thank you so far.
I have downloaded the DSL iso and made a bootdisk, it starts the old PC. Remember I am only starting to work with Linux now.
How can I edit DSL so that it only bootup and give me the remote logon? Do i have to install it on my Windows PC (thats what I use daily) ? If, yes. How? We do not need any of the Linux other apps. or GUI's to run.
Also, the old PC's do not have bootroms. Maybe starting only from CD is the answer, because they all have CD's.
We must also think about printing on eiter the MS Server 2003 box or form some of the dumbterminals.

marhleet
01-23-2007, 08:07 AM
apart from all the

you will need a desktop to run from

guff, the advanced server - terminal services
client is doable as a download to install into a windows machine

I used to use it before i got onto VNC which works just fine
is available for windows and linux
and is mostly figurable (darned config) for even knoppix to do
one of the things i haven't yet done, must get some more time
I have seen it do it! it will do it.

for library clients, the whole security lock down of desktop and tweaking registry, i've not done.
it is doable
you can have a start button with nothing on it but the one item
which is already on the desktop anyway
I've never looked at it
i have seen it at the local lib, and am jealous