PDA

View Full Version : USB flash drive disappears

timmoody
01-22-2007, 06:01 PM
I have Knoppix5.0 installed to a HD. I am using a LinkSys usb hub and plugged into that I have a PNY 1GB Flash drive. Everthing is fine after I boot up, I can read and write to it, got a desktop icon, and it is /dev/sda1. After some period of time, say two hours, I notice the flash drive has disappeared. I try to mount it, but it no longer exists. The only way I cna get it back is to reboot. Anybody got any ideas?? I even looked in the BIOS for any power mangement issues. It just goes away.

Tim
PS I am only running with 256MB ram. Could that be the issue?

timmoody
01-23-2007, 02:25 AM
Just a quick update. I unplugged the hub, plugged the usb flash drive directly into the usb port on the PC. Rebooted and after 9 hours it's still there. I wonder...................

Tim

timmoody
01-24-2007, 01:53 PM
38 views and not a single suggestion or anybody else with the same problem???
After putzing back and forth, I have discovered if I leave the external usb hub out and plug my usb flashdrive directly into the PC it will always be there. If I use an external usb anything connected to it dissapears within two hours.
I sure would like to solve this problem. I will try other usb hubs, I assume somebody would have seen this already.

timmoody
01-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Using Knoppix5.0