PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 5.1.1 and Initng

hal8000
01-23-2007, 11:21 AM
Has anyone got Initng working with knoppix 5.1?

Just ran
apt-get update
apt-get install initng
apt-get install bootchart

I have included a new stanza in grub for initng as below:

title knoppix 5.11
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 rw nofstab nohwsetup nodhcp lang=uk apm=power-off nomce vga=791
initrd /boot/initrd.img
savedefault
boot

title knoppix Initng
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 rw nofstab nohwsetup nodhcp lang=uk apm=power-off nomce vga=791 init=/sbin/initng
initrd /initrd

The initng starts to load but then I get a message error at line 22. At this early stage nothing is wrote to dmesg so I cant debug this.
Initng looks very promising, but so far I have failed to get it working on 5 different linux systems, Im just not clever enough to work out
the init scripts and booting process required by each distribution.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

onemyndseye
01-31-2007, 01:29 PM
Well.... yes and no

Part of your prblem is in your menu.lst:

title knoppix Initng
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 rw nofstab nohwsetup nodhcp lang=uk apm=power-off nomce vga=791 init=/sbin/initng
initrd /initrd

should be: initrd /boot/initrd.img
NOT: initrd /initng

The " init=/sbin/initng " is all you need to enable booting with initng

I installed it and got it to sort-of boot. The problem is that initng uses a different scripting language for its Inits and this is a big problem for knoppix since Its init scripts do ALOT.

Bash init scripts can be used with Initng but I do not remmber the exact method although it basicaly just involves making a initng script to run your bash based script for you...

I scraped the idea for using it because the idea behing initng is that it can INIT several parts of the system at once.... and since so much is done in the knoppix init's I figured this was asking for trouble since in theory some things could happen out of sequence.... for instance... What would happen if hwsetup started before udev.... etc etc

It does make for a really nice looking and quick boot process :)

Take Care,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye