PDA

View Full Version : NFS/NetBoot

TDSK
05-22-2003, 10:18 PM
I was wondering if the following setup is possible on Knoppix.

I want to boot from a floppy disk which would download Knoppix from my Intranet web server and "install" it from there.

I would prefer it to boot in the English language automatically as well as boot up in text mode only (I believe run Level 2)

I believe the parameters I need to use would be
knoppix lang=us knoppix 2

And from there automatically start ssh running, mount an NFS drive, start a program running etc ....

Anyone seen a customization already done that does this or know of where I can start on it? I've already got an NFS server setup as well as Internal Webs and ftp server as well (Not tftp though)

Dave_Bechtel
05-22-2003, 11:58 PM
--Why? Does the computer you want to run it on not have a CDROM drive or something?

--What do you mean by "install" - please be more specific about your intended usage.

I was wondering if the following setup is possible on Knoppix.

I want to boot from a floppy disk which would download Knoppix from my Intranet web server and "install" it from there.

I would prefer it to boot in the English language automatically as well as boot up in text mode only (I believe run Level 2)

I believe the parameters I need to use would be
knoppix lang=us knoppix 2

And from there automatically start ssh running, mount an NFS drive, start a program running etc ....

Anyone seen a customization already done that does this or know of where I can start on it? I've already got an NFS server setup as well as Internal Webs and ftp server as well (Not tftp though)

TDSK
05-23-2003, 12:14 AM
Got 6 different systems at home that I intend to use it on and it's cheaper to buy $10 Floppy Drives than $30 CD-ROM's (Used ones of course)

By Install I just meant decompressed like it normally is when it's done off of the CD-ROM. (That's why I put the quotes around the word install as I couldn't think of the proper word at the time)

I've currently got a diskless system setup and running on these other systems I mentioned above, but it doesn't run some of the stuff I want as it's a very small linux install. I've already got all the floppies and everything and the systems are all caseless systems that I've setup to run two motherboards with one power supply. Very Basic with only NIC's right now (a couple do have Video Cards as the Mobo's won't boot w/o them)

Dave_Bechtel
05-24-2003, 09:13 PM
--If these 6 systems have HD's with 700Meg free space on them, you can copy or FTP the knoppix\knoppix file from the CD to c:\knoppix\knoppix. Then make a boot floppy and go from there.

--Otherwise it looks like you'll have to google for a 2-disk Xwindow system or something and mount things over NFS. Might not be the best way to go.

Got 6 different systems at home that I intend to use it on and it's cheaper to buy $10 Floppy Drives than $30 CD-ROM's (Used ones of course)

By Install I just meant decompressed like it normally is when it's done off of the CD-ROM. (That's why I put the quotes around the word install as I couldn't think of the proper word at the time)

I've currently got a diskless system setup and running on these other systems I mentioned above, but it doesn't run some of the stuff I want as it's a very small linux install. I've already got all the floppies and everything and the systems are all caseless systems that I've setup to run two motherboards with one power supply. Very Basic with only NIC's right now (a couple do have Video Cards as the Mobo's won't boot w/o them)

RockMumbles
05-25-2003, 08:09 AM
Are you wanting to run diskless machines? Boot the OS from another running machine?

If so look into getting floppy boot roms from rom-o-matic and have a computer running knoppix from cd and setup and start the knoopix terminal server.

rock