PDA

View Full Version : Bad ISO Image?

Siaphu
01-24-2007, 04:35 PM
I've dl the latest version of Knoppix twice from diffrent servers using Bit Torrent and cant seem to boot from the DVD. I have tried burning the dvd three times with no success. It appears that there is no boot file on the dvd itself although there is a boot directory and a linux directory along with some other files. It appears from reading some of the posts that all the files are on the DVD.

Am I missing something?
I am new to Linux but experienced with P.C. hardware and software. I used Nero 7 to burn the image and other software with the same results. Maybe bad ISO image? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just a quick note: downloaded Fedora, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, burned ISO images with default settings in Nero, No problems. I just noticed in the forum that the Image may have been burned using too high a speed, I will try a lower setting tonight.

Harry Kuhman
01-24-2007, 09:28 PM
I've dl the latest version of Knoppix twice from diffrent servers using Bit Torrent ....
What does this mean? You can't download from different servers using BitTorrent, you download from a cloud of other BitTorrent users each time. That cloud is constantly changing, but you are certainly not downloading from a different server. And there is absolutely no reason to have downloaded twice. BitTorrent has internal error checking to not only detect bad downloads but to fix them on the fly. The results of a second BT download will match the first. See also my next response.

Bad ISO Image?
Just this question tells me that either you have not read the downloading faq, or you just skip over things that you have not done before or don't understand (although it's explained very clearly so lack of understanding can hardly be an excuse). A simple md5 test would have answered this question in far less time than it took you to post it. See answer #1 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).

.... It appears that there is no boot file on the dvd itself although there is a boot directory and a linux directory along with some other files.
What do you base this on? Did you examine the iso or dvd with isobuster? After reading this I thought that you had either burnt the disc wrong or extracted files from the iso and burnt them to disc, but your later statement that you have burnt other iso files with Nero seems to suggest that this would not be the case. Still, you are clearly not following all of the information in the downloading faq, which you indicate by your acknowledgement of a high speed burn. Try reading the entire faq. Do a simple md5 test (should not even be needed for a bt download but do it anyway). Good luck.