PDA

View Full Version : VMWARE PLAYER INSTALL

birdsixone
01-25-2007, 02:36 AM
I'm trying to install VMware-player-1.0.3-34682 and everything installs perfectly until it asks for the location of the directory of the C header files that match my running kernel. Here is what I get.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

The path "/usr/src/linux/include" is not an existing directory.

I heard that I have to point it to /lib/modules/2.6.19/build but I do not have a build folder. Instead build is a file and when I click on it I get the error"File:////lib/modules/2.6.19/build Does not seem to exist anymore". Someone please help me out here. I have tried almost everything I can think of but then again I am new to Linux. I was also told I should try to do a apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.19 but when I do that I get this

root@box:/home/birdsixone# apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.19
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Package linux-headers-2.6.19 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package linux-headers-2.6.19 has no installation candidate
root@box:/home/birdsixone#

Any help is appreciated.

onemyndseye
01-25-2007, 08:06 AM
the 2.6.19 headers are installed on the system at: /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.19

hope this helps :)
-Justin
One Mynds Eye

birdsixone
01-25-2007, 01:31 PM
I tried to go to that but their is no such directory on my computer. Is their some way I can search for them or do I have to download them?

JohnnyH
01-25-2007, 01:35 PM
birdsixone : Exactly which version of KNOPPIX are you using ? The recent ones in which I have installed VMware-player-1.0.3-34682 are :-

5.0.1 CD :does not have the files; I had to copy over the files from 5.0.1 DVD (see below)

5.0.1 DVD : has the files in :-
/usr/src/linux-2.6.17/arch
/usr/src/linux-2.6.17scripts
For my own convenience I tarballed these to .tar.gz & then alien-ed to .deb package.

5.1.1 CD :does not have the files; you can copy over the files from 5.1.1 DVD (but see below)

5.1.1 DVD : The files are in /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.19 - as in preceding posting by onemyndseye.
With this there is a bonus; Knoppix have at last included a .deb package
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.19_2.6.19-10.00.Custom_i386.deb
This contains the sub-set of necessary files that are in /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.19 and makes for a much more convenient & compact installation.

I suspect (but NB don't know for certain) that 5.1.0 may be similar to 5.1.1 in this respect.
Addendum: Looks like it - I've found it mentioned in this wiki http://buxus.s31.xrea.com/pukiwiki/pukiwiki.php?usr%2Fsrc

(NB if you try to get the 'vanilla' sources from kernel.org they do not contain the necessary custom knoppix version data.)

So unless/until Knoppix post headers separately in the mirrors, you have to get the DVD to work with the CD. :?

If you want to send me your e-mail (click on my name link & send a Private Message) I could send you .deb packages for 5.0.1 or 5.1.1

Good luck :)

christoph
02-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Hi JohnnyH,

I have the same problems during the installation of vmplayer in my Knoppix-DVD 5.1 -system like "birdsixone" published a month ago.

I followed your advices and installed the linux-headers-2.6.19, but anyway - this prompt of the vmplayer installation occurs:

Which path is now necessary?

Pressing just "ENTER" - the same message occurs.

Can you give me any hind.

Thanks,
Christoph

JohnnyH
02-28-2007, 04:23 PM

Which path is now necessary?
(You have to reply with the actual path used by your distro - VM set-up does not necessarily know this as many distros are different :( )
From memory, for this Knoppix 5.1(.1) it is:

/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.19/include

(To be sure, open KPackage, find package linux-headers-2.6.19 and look at the File List tab )

Good luck :)