PDA

View Full Version : LOCALE cannot be changed in Knoppix 5.1.1

cezar
01-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Good morning to you all. I have installed Knoppix 5.1.1 . It is wonderful except for the fact that I live in Brazil and I use the language pt_BR with a lot of accents. Everything is perfect if I do not use Openoffice. I can use the accents (with the ABNT2 keyboard) wherever I want but not in Openoffice. I have installed the #apt-get install kde-i18n-ptbr and my KDE is now in Portuguese (from Brazil) but if I apply locale the result is:
root@knoppix:/home/cezar# dpkg-reconfigure locales
Generating locales (this might take a while)...
pt_BR.ISO-8859-1... done
Generation complete.
root@knoppix:/home/cezar# locale
LANG=C
LANGUAGE=us
LC_CTYPE="pt_BR"
LC_NUMERIC="pt_BR"
LC_TIME="pt_BR"
LC_COLLATE="pt_BR"
LC_MONETARY="pt_BR"
LC_MESSAGES="pt_BR"
LC_PAPER="pt_BR"
LC_NAME="pt_BR"
LC_ADDRESS="pt_BR"
LC_TELEPHONE="pt_BR"
LC_MEASUREMENT="pt_BR"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="pt_BR"
LC_ALL=pt_BR
even if I use #dpkg-reconfigure locales there is still the reference to the LANGUAGE=us...What else can I do, please. I thank you enormously for any possible help. Cezar

onemyndseye
01-25-2007, 12:11 PM
This might be too easy.... check the output of ` cat /proc/cmdline ` for a lang= statement ....if its not present then the system will override it with lang=us

Probably it will take editing /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig
Find the localization section....

It starts out like this:

### localization
# Allow language specification via commandline. The default language
# will be overridden via "lang=de" boot commandline
# Default is now US
LANGUAGE="$(getbootparam lang 2>/dev/null)"
[ -n "$LANGUAGE" ] || LANGUAGE="us"

# The default language/keyboard to use. This CANNOT be autoprobed.
# Most of these variables will be used to generate the KDE defaults
# and will be inserted into /etc/sysconfig/* below.
case "$LANGUAGE" in

Notice all the sections are sepparated by ;; .... Youll need to add a section that looks something like this:

br)
# Brazil
COUNTRY="BR"
LANG="pt_BR@euro"
KEYTABLE="es"
XKEYBOARD="es"
KDEKEYBOARD="es"
CHARSET="iso8859-15"
# Additional KDE Keyboards
KDEKEYBOARDS="de(nodeadkeys),us,fr"
TZ="Europe/Madrid"
;;

Be sure to add this section BEFORE the " esac " statement at the end of the function

Unfortunatley I do not know the correct values for your locale... these values where taken from the spainish language set.... but hopefully this will get you pointed in the right direction....

Take Care,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye

cezar
01-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Thank you very very very much I will try it and will inform you the result. Thanks again for your attention. All the best. Greetings from Brazil. Cezar

onemyndseye
01-26-2007, 12:59 PM
you are very welcome... :)

also... I meant to add if its not obvious that once you have it edited... you will need to issue the lang=br cheatcode from boot :)

If you will let me know the correct values for brazil I will also add them to my custom scripts as well :)

Good Luck!
-Justin
One Mynds Eye