PDA

View Full Version : how to install drivers

marcusaureliusbrutus
01-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Is there a way to automatically install drivers in knoppix similar to that of windows by either using setup or control panel?
I am having difficulty installing the driver of a smartlink 56k internal dialup modem on my laptop. I have downloaded the linux driver from a linux website but after reading the instructions i found myself lost in all the details and personally found the process incredibly meticulous and complicated. I mean no offense to all knoppix users but i am a relatively new user and I can't help but find the process of configuring knoppix quite perplexing. Lastly, I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how to enter the control center with an administrator acct.. I have discovered that despite going to the root term and typing su and changing the passwd, I still retain the default knoppix user acct. upon entering the control center. I guess my question is: How do i log in to knoppix as an administrator or su? I thank in advance all those who would take the time to read and reply to this query thank you.

onemyndseye
01-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Drivers are Kernel modules (for the most part) in Linux and need to be compiled with your kernel.... its not as hard of a process as it sounds :)

(simple explanation)
but be warned that "Winmodems" or modems that are PlugAndPlug modems that are designed and intended to be run on Windows are a major pain to get working under Linux because of the way the Modem takes and gives instruction... Most of the functions that these modems carry out and preformed by the drivers instead of the hardware its self (these are also called "SoftModems"... (this may or may not be the case with your hardware)

....In short - You may not get this modem working.

to your second question: Its not allowed for root to login to KDE...nor is it safe. ... You say you are always "knoppix" Are you runnign from the CD? if so this is normal as the CD is a single-user system.. if you installed to the HD then the same still applies if you chose a "Knoppix Style" install

Anything in the control center that needs root access will prompt you for the root password.

If you are using the "Root Term" ...then you ARE root. :)... any commands carried out in that terminal are being issue by the root account. .... simple way to tell:

A normal user prompt looks like this:

onemyndseye@exodus:~$

A root user prompt looks like this:

root@exodus:/home/onemyndseye#

notice the $ and the # .... :)

Take care,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye