PDA

View Full Version : A question about Knoppix Live distro ?

dissel
01-26-2007, 02:27 PM
I am new in Linux, and today I just get my hand knoppix Live CD ver 5....before I post the topic, I try to search the forum but can't get any result.
I am sorry If this topic already discussed earlier in this forum.

Is it possible to save any thing during the live session In the hard disk ?

I have NTFS & Fat32 partition. I heard that NTFS will not have default write permission but Fat32 can be used for both read & write easily.

But I tried but can't save any file into Fat32 partition.
I create a text file in the desktop but can't transfer it to the any fat32 partition.
Is the limitation of Knoppix (Live)distro or there is any other way out from this problem.
Please reply....ASAP, Thanks In advance.

ndb
01-26-2007, 06:23 PM
You can write safely to a FAT32 partition; you can write to a NTFS partition, but you risk scrambling that partition.

By default, your hard drive (all partitions) is read-only. This is to prevent damage to the partition. There is a Using Knoppix faq, which discusses this and other issues.

Here is an appropriate excerpt from it.

A: On Knoppix 5.0.1, other filesystems are mounted read-only by default. To enable writing on a filesystem, you can right-click the partition icon on the desktop, such as 'hda1' and select "Change read/write mode". The filesystem needs to be mounted before you can change the access mode. "Change read/write mode" menu selection does basically the same thing as the shell command 'mount -o remount,rw /dev/<device>' where <device> is your partition, such as 'hda1'. Also note that changing the permission bits (read/write/execute) of the device or the mounted directory won't enable writing access.

Here is the URL: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Using_FAQ