PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix with Win 2000

boehmb
05-23-2003, 12:54 AM
I know this has probably been answered already, and if so, point me in the right direction please. I have a computer with Windows 2000 Pro on the C: drive and a blank F: drive. Is it possible to install Knoppix or any Linux to the F: drive and have a dual-boot system? Right now, the C: is primary master and F: is primary slave. Will Lilo or Grub pick up my Windows installation? Thank you.

Tortoise
05-23-2003, 01:13 AM
Yes, if you install Knoppix it will take care of the dual booting for you.
Nick

boehmb
05-23-2003, 01:19 AM
Thank you. I'll try it this weekend. So, it doesn't matter that Win2K is installed on the primary drive and Linux (Knoppix) on the secondary? Does Lilo or Grub have to write to the MBR for dual-boot and can that screw up Windows?

Tortoise
05-23-2003, 01:24 AM
No, I don't think it will make any difference.
Bear in mind though that to set up the dual boot LILO will replace the MBR for the dual boot. It won't screw up windows, but it could be difficult to remove LILO if you ever wanted to. ie you will not be able to get rid of the choice of OS screen.
I did get rid of it from a win2k installation just by booting from the win2k cd and choosing R and then C (console) and writing a new MBR.
Nick

boehmb
05-23-2003, 01:28 AM
Thank you for the quick response. I'll post the results this weekend.

boehmb
05-23-2003, 04:06 AM
I couldn't wait to try it. Works great. I can boot either Linux or Win2000 without any problems. Thanks!