PDA

View Full Version : knoppix 5.1.1 booting fine but no X

MrGreen
01-28-2007, 11:01 AM
Hi,

Knoppix 5.1.1 boots fine on my desktop which surprised me as its the only livecd thats detects my dvd drive ... [jmicron drivers in kernel I guess]

that said It gets to starting X screen goes blank get out of range message onscreen tried Ctrl+Alt+'+' [& '-'] but no joy

going into console I get AIGLX error .... xorg is using nv driver

Is there a cheat code to turn off AIGLX until I can get a working screen?

[5.1.1 works fine on my laptop]

If you need any more output let me know

TIA

MrG

kirol
01-28-2007, 11:07 AM
You can try the frame-buffer (it's definitely not accelerated), type eg "fb1024x768" at the boot prompt...

MrGreen
01-28-2007, 11:19 AM
frame buffer does not help... AIGLX is the problem I loaded a working xorg.conf [from my machine] still would not start get cursor but nothing else

Can I run Knoppix without AIGLX ? or should I drop to a version that does not have it?

MrGreen
01-29-2007, 04:58 PM
Ok I managed to get X working by using xmodule=vesa

It flickered a bit before kdm started & screen res. is out [but thats not a problem]

I'm in .......

tvoimat
02-14-2007, 05:08 AM
Well you are doing better than I, I 1st installed 3.4 on my hard drive and had a lilo boot propmt for windows, linux, 3.4., 2.6, 2.4, and it all worked great. I downloaded 5.1 dvd and decompressed the file on my hard drive and it ran out of room. Now I am back with 3.4 just with the cd. I can't even boot a good cd of 5.1 and the DVD, forget about it!, I am tired of the endless hours trying to work out a solution. Why won't the dvd boot? help'''

MrGreen
02-14-2007, 09:26 AM
You may be better off starting a thread of your own for help.

I have used dvd versions of knoppix but not 5.1.1

MrG

tvoimat
02-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Thanks for your replies, I have reset my MBR which was preventing the bootup. Everything is as it should be. I only need to become more proficent with all of this great system, + c + other kernels and on and on. Its great to have started with this, have a good one everyone! :D

tvoimat
02-20-2007, 11:23 PM
I am walking on someone elses discussion and will no longer bother anyone about my system in your discussion

MrGreen
02-21-2007, 08:11 AM
I only thought that if you started your own thread you may get more help ;-)

Yes Knoppix is a great Distro my entry if you like in the Linux world never looked back, Windows free for many years now

Enjoy Knoppix

MrG