PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 5.1 locking up after booting up fine

Oldlock15
01-29-2007, 02:49 AM
I can run the knoppix cd (V 5.1)on my hp laptop fine. It will boot and do everything I try. I downloaded and burned at the slowest Nero speed (4x) I could. MDA checksum is OK. When I try to run it on Sony VAIO desktop, it locks up. It boots up and I can open or start to open some of the programs. Then it locks. I can move the cursor but there is no response by the OS. The only thing I can do then is to turn power off to reboot. Can there be a problem with the CD-Rom drive or CD-RW drive? Is there any way to test the drives to rule out that possiblity?

Tim1reid
04-19-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm having what sounds like the very same problem on my desktop. I posted in the boot forum. Haven't had any replies yet.

Harry Kuhman
04-19-2007, 08:25 PM
When I try to run it on Sony VAIO desktop, it locks up. It boots up and I can open or start to open some of the programs. Then it locks. ....
If you have a gig or more of memory you could try the toram cheat code. That would load the entire CD into RAM at boot time, if it still locks up later that would indicate it is likely to not be a drive problem.