PDA

View Full Version : please help! driver ok but can't connect to wireless network

nomad667
01-30-2007, 01:37 AM
i'm using knoppix 5.1 liveCD and the ndiswrapper version 1.9 already installed on it
i've been trying to install my wireless pci card driver...

i followed the instructions, used the chipset information in lspci and lspci -n then went to the
ndiswrapper list and downloaded the right driver.
now when i do
> ndiswrapper -l
mrv8335x : driver install
device (11AB:1FAA) present

so i guess the driver has been installed successfully,
when i do

>iwlist wlan0 scan

i get the wireless network information i need to connect to.

now when i use the >netcardconfig
command i get to setup, where i fill all the correct information, the ESSID, the WEP Encryption key,...etc.
then it as ks me if i want to obtain adress automatically (DHCP), I click yes
then it gives me the following error message:

Sending DHCP broadcast from device wlan0 Operation failed.
Failed
Hit return to exit.

i've been working on this for so long, and i'm getting really desperate, i really need to be connected to the net for my school work. i would really appreciate anyone trying to help me out
thank you very much in advance

nnigam
01-30-2007, 07:19 PM
I am having troubles of my own connecting my wireless network, but here is something that worked for me. It may work for you.

from shell type in kwifimanager
In the gui that eventually appears, select configuration from the menu. enter your ssid, your password. Select the activate button, save configuration and exit.

from the shell type in ifconfig wlan0 up

From network/internet menu select network card configuration. Again enter your ssid and password, leave the rest blank and select dhcp at the end.

I was able to get my wireless working with this in both 5.0.1 as well as 5.1.1. The kwlan utility does not work for me. I am not using ndiswrapper, and so do not know how it will affect you.

Neeraj