PDA

View Full Version : Unable to save to /var/www

pitiful_n00b
02-01-2007, 01:48 PM
I am brand new to Linux (like you can't tell). I am trying to use the Knoppix LiveCD 5.0.1 to learn about Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP. I started apache and when I browse to localhost I get a blank screen instead of an error page so I beleive the server is running fine. The problem I am having is when I try to save a web page to /var/www I get the error "Access denied. Could not write to /var/www/".

I know since I am using the LiveCD version /var/www might be on the cd and therefor read-only. My (obviously wrong) understanding is that I should be able to create /var/www on the Ramdisk which Apache would read from, but I also get an access denied message when I attempt this which seems odd.

I imagine I am missing something very simple, but I have been searching for a solution to this for days now and have not been able to find one. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

onemyndseye
02-02-2007, 06:43 AM
Probably its just not writtable to the knoppix user. As root you should have write access

Try this from a Terminal window (Konsole)

sudo konqueror /var/www/.

This will run konqueror as root.... Try creating a directory or something with konqueror and if it works you can use this window to drag and drop files to :)

Good Luck :)
-Justin
One Mynds Eye

pitiful_n00b
02-02-2007, 01:19 PM
That worked! I figured it was something simple, I just needed a nudge...

Thank you very much,