PDA

View Full Version : How to disable swap file creation dialog on low ram pcs?

odinloki
02-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Hi there, I'm trying to boot Knoppix 5.0.1 CD on an old Pentium 2 Laptop with just 32MB of ram.

I choose the boot parameter knoppix desktop=fluxbox, or even knoppix 2 (since I don't want KDE), but no matter what I try, everytime when Knoppix is booting and starts scanning for the existing partitions, it displays the dialog that I have low memory, and in order to run big applications like KDE or OpenOffice, I should have more, and asks if I want to create a swap file.

Then, I answer NO, but the computer locks up. The problem is, this Laptop has some HD issues (that's why I'm trying from a Livecd), and it seems to me that if I could skip this dialog from trying to scan the partition and creating the swap file, the boot process would not lock my computer up.

Is there a way to bypass this? I really need this to get going, and just remembering, the HD is in bad shape, maybe corrupted (and that's probably what's causing this, who knows).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

rusty
02-02-2007, 05:32 AM
There is a noswap cheatcode that you could try, however you might be better served by a distro that needs fewer hardware requirements, dsl http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/, comes to mind.