PDA

View Full Version : Can't Browse the Internet

YareDaze
02-02-2007, 11:31 PM
Recently, my friend's Windows XP computer got messed up due to corrupted DLLs. We don't know how this happened, but I told him that I had a Knoppix 3.9 CD that he could use until his recovery CD from HP arrives. I wanted to e-mail him the latest ISO of Knoppix so he could burn it to CD, but the computer which got messed up is the only computer he has available for use, so he can not go to another computer and download it. His network setup consists of a Westell Wirespeed Modem and a D-Link DI-625 wireless router. Knoppix recognized the router, but when he tried to browse the Internet from Konqueror or Firefox, it could not connect to the Internet, so he received a "server can not be found" message. I am not at his house right now, so I can not get the other info (i.e iconfig and the rest) by myself, but I can call him and ask for it. So, if anyone can help, it would be much appreciated. :)

hal8000
02-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Chances are the error message "server can not be found" is a DNS error.

As knoppix found the router, you need to know if the router is a combined, router/modem and is making the connection to the internet. You need to run the network card configuration utility from knoppix, followed by ipconfig at a terminal. Finally
the contents of resolv.conf also need to be known.
Post the outputs of:
ifconfig
cat /etc/resolv.conf
route