PDA

View Full Version : Booting problem - crc error

poirot
02-06-2007, 03:10 PM
I have just burnt boot disc from KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso after checking the md5 as in faq.

However I have been unable to boot from the disc. I reburnt it at 2x speed and made sure burnt iso image etc, this was done from OSX. The disc itself seems fine however when debug is turned on knoppix fails when uncompressing linux.
I have tried a whole combination of boot options, with failsafe and debug I get the following:

Loading linux...........................................
Loading minirt.gz..........................
Ready.
Uncompressing Linux...

crc error

-- System halted

I am trying to get it going on Vaio notebook PCG VGN-FS660/W which wont boot XP for as yet an unknown reason, but may be a failed hardrive.

I noticed in some earlier posts, over 2 years, that the thinking on this sort of crc error is that the live cd has probably got a bad sector on it. If this is the case is there a way of checking this out? Unfortunately I don't have access to another cd burner or pc to test out.

Any ideas welcome

Thanks

poirot

decompressing linux at which point I get the crc error

Harry Kuhman
02-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Sounds like you are indeed burning the disc as an iso, or you would not have got as far as you did.

You mention that the pc you are trying to boot on will no longer boot xp, and that maybe it is a hard disk failure. Maybe it's not the hard disk at all, maybe there is a memory failure (or some other basic system component). Try booting and at the boot prompt type memtest. Let it run a few passes of memtest86 to be sure the system is up to running anything.

poirot
02-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Youre right. Just did the memtest, and not one pass just watching the errors stack up!
At least that means the hard disc is probably recoverable!

Many thanks.

Harry Kuhman
02-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the confirmation. You seemed to have done a proper job making the disc, so when I couldn't account for how you would have a crc error I guessed that memory was bad, causing it.

Hope your disk is ok. If the memory failed hard and fast after windows was shut down then it may well be, but if the memory went bad while windows was writing the disk then you could have some problems.