PDA

View Full Version : Newb: Lost my KDE toolbar

fopetesl
02-06-2007, 05:37 PM
I have manged to (re)install Linux! Hooray :D
This after trying six other distros which wouldn't recognise my SATA drive or previous partitions.
However, my original /home partition is still intact and I can mount it but want it to be my permanent /home .. howto?
Note: for some reason the KDE help menu can't find any of the sub menus.

Sorry, bit off topic. 1st then; my KDE lower toolbar is missing. I thought I'd just set it to only pop-up when mouse over but it doesn't show at all :(

Harry Kuhman
02-06-2007, 05:52 PM
I have manged to (re)install Linux!

:cry: Do you mean you installed Knoppix? You say Linux but don't say what distro, so one suspects that you didn't heed the warnings and went ahead and installed the Live CD. If so I'll move this to the forum where the people who think installing Knoppix is a good idea hang out.

fopetesl
02-06-2007, 06:28 PM
.. warnings? :(
Sorry but haven't seen any with regard to worries about installing from Live CD/DVD.
Help me here, please.

BTW, I should have mentioned 5.1.1 from Linux Format DVD. Ooops.

Harry Kuhman
02-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Our Wiki contains many articles on hard disk installs, including the warnings and reasons not to do it as well as what has hurt the least for those determined to do so anyway. See answer #2 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman) for details on finding it.

DVD install should be about the same as CD install, just waste even more space than if you had installed Debian and all of the programs you actually wanted to use. Of course, that's just theory, I'm not going to install a Knoppix DVD. Maybe there are problems about a DVD install that I don't know about.

fopetesl
02-06-2007, 08:00 PM
will RTFM and repost result :)

marhleet
02-07-2007, 10:35 PM
this isn't like windows show menu bar
did you find the wake up points ?

my 5.1.1 (maybe 5.1.0) wakes up in the bottom left corner where the start button is
uhm, as default
but it is configurable too ....

fopetesl
02-08-2007, 10:12 AM

my 5.1.1 (maybe 5.1.0) wakes up in the bottom left corner where the start button is
uhm, as default
but it is configurable too ....I'm sure it is. But just how when I cannot pull up any useful menus?

onemyndseye
02-08-2007, 11:02 AM
This is the wakeup point that marhleet mentioned. (Circled in red - note the small black arrow)

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/onemyndseye/New/snapshot1.jpg

if this is missing then we may be seeing something similar to the kicker bug that was fixed in 5.11 (one of the main reason for 5.11 was the fact that to toolbar would dissapear when you switched desktops)

Do this from a Terminal window to see if kicker is running (everything marked as "code" goes in a terminal window):

ps ax | grep kicker

it should return something like (your numbers wont match mine): " 3726 ? S 0:07 kicker [kdeinit] "

If its running and you still have no menu bar... then: (assuming you have a wheelmouse)
----
Right click on the desktop, choose "Configure Desktop"
Click the "Multiple Desktops" tab

Check the box near the bottom that says: "Mouse wheel over desktop background switches desktops"
click "OK"
---

Now... with your curser pointed at just the desktop background, roll the mousewheel. Does the menubar return?

If kicker is not running....do this:

apt-get update && apt-get --reinstall install kicker

Then restart KDE and see if its fixed.

If not do: (as root)

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

This should fix the problem as its most probably related to some weird configuration issue and possibly mis-matched KDE libs.....but it may not be a direct solution as you might have some Dependancy errors and such come up that must be worked through....which is a another topic all together.

Good Luck!
-Justin
One Mynds Eye

onemyndseye
02-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Its also worth noting that if you hid it yourself.... and there your Monitor resolution is skewed ... then the wakeup point may be offscreen. And switching desktops will have no effect.

marhleet
02-10-2007, 07:04 AM
for Harry, nup.
that's the display hidden/closed task bar tab that is visible
we're doing the hiding/invisible task bar
the wake up point is the tippy tup bottom corner below that tab, or whereever you configured it when it was turned on

for ome,
I like the idea of refresh rates and monitor settings
it's a pain when the edge of the desktop is not on the edge of the screen

uhm, as default
but it is configurable too ....I'm sure it is. But just how when I cannot pull up any useful menus?

with the blank screen and no task menu bar, press
ALT-F1 to both pop-up the task bar and open the Knoppix menu

fopetesl
02-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Hey guys, thanks. Snow piling down so will test when Santa pulls me out :)