PDA

View Full Version : Not installing all the Way

vipergt73
05-23-2003, 09:51 PM
During the Harddrive install on a Notebook(10GB)partition into (2) 5GB drives it starts the copying of the files and gets to 55% or so and the screen goes black. I have tried a few times but I'm not sure the cause. Knoppix 3.2 5-20 loads fine when booting from the cd-rom. Anyone have any ideals as to what this maybe? if more information is needed please ask.
Thanks for the help.
Billy

Stephen
05-23-2003, 10:14 PM
Have you disabled power saving?

vipergt73
05-24-2003, 12:09 AM
Have you disabled power saving?
Yes, power saving is disabled. I get an IRQ 7 error about 50% of the way through.*** The message is displayed on the same line as the progress meter so it make it had to read the exact error but even with the error it will still install a little longer. That's when the the screen goes black and it keeps installing from the blinking of the HDD light and the sound of the cdrom for about 3 or so more minutes. Hope this helps.
Thanks
Billy

Stephen
05-24-2003, 12:51 AM
A quick google search (http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=IRQ%207%20error&btnG=Google+Search) has a few places to start. The first couple of links seem to be dead links to redhat but the summary mentions checking printer settings in bios. Another mentions APIC and one mentions pcmia so these would be places to look for the error try booting with as many "no" options as you want or maybe even failsafe and see if it will install that way you will know if it is some kind of hardware problem.

Also have you used the testcd option to make sure the CD is good? Sometimes even though the CD will boot there can be errors in sections of it that never get used when you are running so this would be one more thing to check.

vipergt73
05-24-2003, 02:53 AM
A quick google search (http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=IRQ%207%20error&btnG=Google+Search) has a few places to start. The first couple of links seem to be dead links to redhat but the summary mentions checking printer settings in bios. Another mentions APIC and one mentions pcmia so these would be places to look for the error try booting with as many "no" options as you want or maybe even failsafe and see if it will install that way you will know if it is some kind of hardware problem.

Also have you used the testcd option to make sure the CD is good? Sometimes even though the CD will boot there can be errors in sections of it that never get used when you are running so this would be one more thing to check.

Thanks Stephen for your help. I haven't thought about testing the cd and I will look into trying to install using failsafe.
Thanks again for your help.
Billy

rickenbacherus
05-25-2003, 12:02 AM
. I get an IRQ 7 error about 50% of the way through

What hardware resides at IRQ7?

How big of a partition are you attempting to install Knoppix to?