PDA

View Full Version : Internet Sharing.... Please Help!!!!

vivchawda
02-11-2007, 03:42 PM
I have a ADSL connection on my desktop, which is running on Knoppix. I want to share this connection on my laptop running Windows XP. Any ideas how to do this?????
Thanks!

marhleet
02-12-2007, 10:39 AM
if you are on the RJ45 nic card to the adsl modem, you will need another nic
and some sort of internet connection sharing, which i haven't looked hard for yet
but ....

if your adsl connection is configured in the modem, username password, then you just need a 4 port hub
basic adsl modems have the one RJ45 socket and a crossover cable to your computer
get a 4/5 port hub and some plain blue cables and there would be no configureing to worry about

you IP address should be assigned from the adsl modem, and I think (?) that even a basic modem would DHCP more than one address (yes guys?)

most ADSL type modems you would buy from your computer store would have 4 post sockets on them anyway

vivchawda
02-12-2007, 12:07 PM
i have a RJ45 port on my motherboard, through which the ADSL modem is connected(the modem has a single port). i also have a lan card , through which i connect the laptop. ICS was quite simple in Windows & no extra h/w was required.... so, is there any way by which i can share the connection w/o adding any hardware????? are there any kind of proxy server s/w available, which could be used in this situation???
Thanx a lot!! :D

marhleet
02-12-2007, 12:43 PM
there should be internet sharing somehow .....
,ight be easier to put the XP on the adsl modem with the extra nic and get it to do the share