PDA

View Full Version : Screen Resolution settings

nnigam
02-12-2007, 07:42 PM
My laptop which displays upto 1600 x 1200 with no problem under XP comes up as 1024 x 768 in knoppix. When I change the screen resolution in control center | display, I can go upto 1600 x 1200, howerver the screen comes up tiled instead of stretched to fill the screen resolution. Any idea on what I am doing wrong, and what I can do to get it to stretch to fill the screen. I would prefer a 1280 x 1024 resolution. I remember that in debian you can cycle through the available resolutions using some control alt +/- combination. Either I have forgotten what it is or it is not working in knoppix. Also, the laptop does not have a dedicated + key which may also be the cause.

Also, I am able to get beryl running as long as I do not use my persistent disk image about 90% of the time. However, If I use it, I have only been able to get it once. Now it never goes into beryl. Any ideas?

Thanks
Neeraj

kirol
02-13-2007, 12:03 AM
I would prefer a 1280 x 1024 resolution. have you tried "knoppix screen=1280x1024" at the boot prompt?
if it dosn't work, try "fb1280x1024" instead - but that's using frame buffer mode which is definitely not accelerated...

nnigam
02-13-2007, 04:55 PM
I think the problem is the bootfrom parameter that I was using. Even though I specified the screen size, it was not working. Nor was beryl.

I then booted from dvd with the screen option, and it worked along with beryl. The only thing that I loose is the speed of booting from the disk iso image. I wonder if the tohd/fromhd might work better then the bootfrom paramter. Anyone have experience using it. I was using the bootfrom since I already had the iso on my hard drive from when I downloaded the file.

Any reason why beryl and screen sizes do not work with the bootfrom parameter?

Thanks
Neeraj