PDA

View Full Version : "You do not have enough permissions to read etc/lilo.cn

HDRW-Smee
02-13-2007, 06:01 AM
1. Installed to hdd by command "knoppix tohd=/dev/hdd1"

2. Went to menu as follows: System - Admin - Lilo-config.

3. Get error: "! Please edit /etc/lilo.conf before running lilo!" at or above line 20 in file '/etc/lilo.conf'

4. Go to text editor to open /etc/lilo.conf and get the error: Could not open the file /etc/lilo.conf. You do not have the permissions necessary to open the file.

5. Opened Konquerer and click on /etc/lilo.conf to view the file and get: "You do not have enough permissions to read etc/lilo.cnf"

I do not know how to log in with root priviledges, apparently. In the menu, when I go to "switch user" there is nothing there, even though I have configured users. Without editing lilo.conf the computer will not boot to knoppix without the DVD. I have the computer configured to boot to the drive where I have knoppix installed.

Help.

Lost in the backwoods of Arkansas.

HDRW-Smee
02-13-2007, 07:35 PM
BUMP . . . BUMP . . .

I see that some 5 hours after making this post, 17 have viewed and none have responded.

Since no one has responded, I am going to bet that the ones who viewed it were having the same problem, or something similar for them to have visited here.

Please help, someone.

I am trying to migrate away from Micro$loth Winders to a more secure, less intrusive operating system. Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.