PDA

View Full Version : Hd install help / similar distro

oli888
02-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Hi.

I'm looking for a distro that I can install to my HD and detects all my hardware. My graphics card only works on Kanotix and Knoppix, but Kanotix has paused in developement. Sidux, however, does not detect it, and neither (now) does Mepis. I need a distro based on Knoppix that can be installed and updated to new versions.

If I do install Knoppix to my HD, is there any way I can keep it up to date? Could I use the fromiso cheatcode and update from there? Or is there a Knoppix-based distro that has the hardware detection but is better for HD installs?

Thanks,

Oli

rusty
02-16-2007, 02:21 AM
Knoppix is a linux distrobution based on debian linux. There are other debian linux distro's out that have better hardware recognition and that are better suited for installation to the harddrive. Ubuntu is one of the popular distributions right now and it does include system updating.

For a look at the various linux distrobutions , both debian and non debian , http://distrowatch.com/ is a good place to start.

oli888
02-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately Ubuntu doesn't detect my graphics card - it only works on Knoppix. I have asked for help with Ubuntu many times but it never works :wink: . I can only get it working with Knoppix. Are there many installable and updatable Knoppix-based LiveCDs? Or is there any update-install like there was for Kanotix?

Thanks again,

Oli

onemyndseye
02-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Well... once you install Knoppix to the harddrive it is basically Debian Etch..

You can keep the installed packages upto date with the apt system...

Once your install is complete... (Use the Beginner Type system for autodetection) Boot it up, login as root and do:

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

In a terminal window.

You will have a couple dependancy issues to work through that basically can be resolved by removing the offending package and then continuing. .... once the upgrade is complete the package can be reinstalled if it was something you needed.

As far as updating the installation its self... Knoppix added the function to update a current install at 5.01 .. I havent tried this function but it basically just updates the packages on the installed system to the same versions thats on the CD (Best I can tell)... Its really not that bad to reinstall from scratch when going to a new version though..

just backup /home/* to another drive or partition..... as well as any key settings from /etc/. ...... reinstall and then copy your files back into place.

Take Care,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye

kirol
02-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Oli, you should be able to install any recent distro of your choice, then copy the knoppix (or kanotix) auto-generated xorg.conf file (which you can find under /etc/X11).

oli888
02-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Thankyou everyone for your help. I'm fairly new to Linux, so I'm avoiding apt for now, as I wouldn't like to have ongiong dependancy problems. Changing the xorg.conf from Knoppix to another disto would be difficult because I often can't get to the file to start with : wink : . Using the installation update from the CD method, could I download a later iso, then somehow boot from it? I know it was fromiso on the LiveCD. Is there a way to do it from a HD install?

Thanks,

Oli