PDA

View Full Version : How to use Beryl 3d desktop??

zenlakin
02-16-2007, 02:40 PM
I am definitely a noobie linux person and just made a knoppix 5.1 live cd. My teacher at school booted to it and was spinning the desktop on what looked like a cube. I am trying to get the 3d desktop to work but am not sure how to do that. Can someone help? I am trying to get the cube to rotate so that I can just rotate between desktops. I meet all the specs as far as hardware goes just not sure if there are any configuration changes I need to make in the Beryl Settings Manager or not. Thanks again and I am sure you guys will have an answer pretty quick.

ndb
02-16-2007, 06:41 PM
I believe you should use the cheatcode desktop=beryl.

When you get a screen saying boot: or login: (I can't recall which exactly; I just react), you enter knoppix desktop=beryl. There is a file included with the download, titled knoppix-cheatcodes.txt. The latest version didn't include a beryl cheatcode, but it does work.

One word to the wise; you need at least 512K to run it reliably, or at all. It is a bit of a RAM hog.

Please let me know how it works out.

zenlakin
02-16-2007, 06:49 PM
I am able to get it loaded since it comes as part of the knoppix 5.1 live cd but I am not sure how to actually utilize the features of the 3d desktop. I mean, how to you switch between desktops and everything?