PDA

View Full Version : Webcam access and control under knoppix?

turbine
02-16-2007, 09:21 PM
I got one of those logitech web cams and I would like to use it with my knoppix
system Same ol same ol, works great under windows but nothing doing
under knoppix. Any ideas?

Harry Kuhman
02-16-2007, 09:43 PM
No model number given, so the help you can get is limited. It's hard to know what you really are asking either. If you want to know about using webcams and Linux, a quick Google search (http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&q=webcam+linux&btnG=Google+Search) gives a lot of information, including good info for the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 and many other model numbers. If you just want to gripe about having purchased a webcam that the manufacturer hasn't released Linux drivers or specs for and uses an unknown chip then I'm not sure what the point is, we have all heard that before as your post indicates. And if your issue is that the cam is supported in Linux but not in Knoppix, I don't think it's reasonable to expect a Live CD to contain drivers for everything ever made, Knoppix is good for what it is, but consider installing Debian or some other hard drive targeted Linux distro and installing the proper support for your webcam if it exists.

turbine
02-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Wow, is little Harry having a bad day? I didn't expect such a caustic response, even from you.