PDA

View Full Version : Booting problem...usual stuff i guess

JP137
02-19-2007, 03:42 AM
Well, I',m a complete newbie, but i've burned knoppix to the cd-rw (8x speed) so far, checked with the m5 thingy...it was fine and started the computer, it started booting showing knoppix (V 5.1 2007-01-04), asked to press enter, I did, but after that it just displayed a starting message with dots which led to nothing because eventually it would say the boot had failed...and i had to press any key to restart, after which the same happened. What's wrong with it?

Any help would be apreciated,

JP

Harry Kuhman
02-19-2007, 05:36 AM
Well, I',m a complete newbie, but i've burned knoppix to the cd-rw (8x speed)..... What's wrong with it?
Sounds like you burnt it as an image or you would not have even got the first prompt. I wonder about that 8x, usually CD-rw is limited to 4x unless you use special high speed media (and, curiously the high speed media will not burn properly at lower speeds like 4x). But I'll assume that you have special high speed CD-RW media and a burner that can burn it. If that's the case there are two likely problems: you might have a problem reading the media from bad media or marginal optics in the drive; but the most likely problem is that you need one or more cheat codes to help with the hardware detection process. See the cheat codes file that came with your torrent download, or see the cheat code section of the wiki. One comon cheat code many people need is knoppix nodma, but without knowing a lot more about your harware it's difficult to make optimum suggestions.

JP137
02-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Hey, I was actually able to solve this problem overnight, I woke up and tried puting the cd-rw in the burning drive, and knoppix worked, but once in my regular cd reading only drive, it won't start...why?

PS: Can I find files from my windows partitions in knoppix (i.e. I've got 2 partitios, one with W98, another with XP and an empty one, can I use it for storage? Is it possible, or advisable, to install an antivirus to browse the web when using it?

JP

marhleet
02-19-2007, 10:40 AM
my brand cd-rw are 10x but they usually get a 2x option too

check the dates on the cd read only drive, it will prolly be pre-2002ish
older lasers or drives don't read modern media too well
if you had used a one time cd-r at a nice slow speed it would prolly be ok.
like i can't use cd-rw in my car stereo, but cd-r works ok

Harry Kuhman
02-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Hey, I was actually able to solve this problem overnight, I woke up and tried puting the cd-rw in the burning drive, and knoppix worked, but once in my regular cd reading only drive, it won't start...why?
For the reasons I already said, the optics in the cd drive may be starting to go marginal (usually dirty), or the cd drive needs the nodma cheat code.

PS: Can I find files from my windows partitions in knoppix (i.e. I've got 2 partitios, one with W98, another with XP and an empty one, can I use it for storage? Is it possible, or advisable, to install an antivirus to browse the web when using it?
Knoppix should find the files on the windws partitions just fine. You can save data to that empty partition if it is a FAT partition, but it is not saft to do if it's a NTFS partition. See answer 6 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman) for more info. If it's really an emty partition it's not to hard to deletean empty NTFS partition and put a FAT partition in it's place, but it is something that could muck up your entire disk if you don't know what you are doing.