PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Retrieve Information

ade123007
02-20-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm trying to retrieve some photographs of my little girl on my hard drive that won’t boot up. It’s partitioned with five users. On placing my windows XP disc to repair its asking for an admin password, for some reason it’s not unlocking.

So a friend suggested using Knoppix to boot the hard drive and try and find a way to unlock the passwords. I've downloaded the software, boot disc, via Nero Express 6 and it goes through its "bit" and then stops, nothing.

There are a couple of questions,

1) Will this software help me get the photos back??
2) What I’m I doing wrong?

I'm worry that I’ll lose my information.

Any help

Many thanks

Harry Kuhman
02-20-2007, 09:05 PM
..... It’s partitioned with five users. ..... I've downloaded the software, boot disc, via Nero Express 6 and it goes through its "bit" and then stops, nothing.

There are a couple of questions,

1) Will this software help me get the photos back??
Maybe, depends on many things. While Knoppix can often read partitions that Windows itself can't, it is certainly posiable to destroy the data to the extent that Knoppix can't, or even to have the disk fail completely. And if the special windows xp feature to encrypt the disk to keep others from reading the data was used, well, Knoppix can't bypass that (and in any other case you would likely be upset if it did).

2) What I’m I doing wrong?
You're not giving us enough info to help you here. What do you even mean by "its bit"? There are a lot of common errors made in creating and booting a Knoppix disc for the first time, try reading the downloading faq and seeing if it doesn't already cover your problem (see the documentation link near the top of this page). After you get the disc booting you may also want to read the rescue faq.