PDA

View Full Version : Very Unexperienced User Needs Help writing to external HDD

Toastedkl
02-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Hi guys,
Sorry, I am a very unexperinced user to Knoppix. My Laptop hard drive has had a software failure and as such Windows wont boot. I tried repairing it but that hasn't worked. I used Knoppix to try and back up from my hard drive (it worked as I could use and view everything on it) but I plugged in my External hard drive (NTFS if that helps) but every time I tried to allow read/write rights to it, it wouldn't let me.Im afraid I can't remeber the error message! It was something like it is being used by another process and when I opened it up normaly, it forced it to open. Sorry im so vauge! I have now sent it to the manufacturer but they have offered to send the old hard drive back with my data on. Can anybody advise me on what I can do to copy the data back onto the external hard drive?
Many Thanks
James

Harry Kuhman
02-20-2007, 10:07 PM
(NTFS if that helps)
No, it doesn't help at all, it hurts. The common belief is that Knoppix can't safely write to NTFS and that it will corrupt the partition if you do. There are some people who think that maybe the newest vesrion of Knoppix might be able to write to NTFs, but even most of them will warn you not to try it with any data that you care about. You would be much better off trying any of the suggestions in the rescue faq, such as backing up across the network, writing to CDs, or simply backing up to FAT partitions.

jae4my
02-27-2007, 10:19 AM
[quote=Toastedkl] (NTFS if that helps)
I have tried the latest version of fuse & ntfs-3g in Fedora Core 6 and I can read/write to my hard disks NTFS partitions without any probems. I have yet to try it on Knoppix. Maybe I will try it out tonight.

Cheers!

jae4my
02-27-2007, 10:35 AM
By the way, I've just read from "http://www.knoppix.net/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&t=26784" that the latest version, Knoppix 5.1, is already pre-installed with ntfs-3g.