PDA

View Full Version : How does one switch desktops

efi360
05-24-2003, 06:34 AM
On using knoppix 3.2 it drops you in to the deffault desktop KDE.
How would you then change over to other desktops such as Windomaker or Gnome Etc... Is this done with a command in a terminal window ? or do you type in commands on boot up ? or can you do it easy from GUI
Would realy like to know

Thanks in advance for help.
Newbie to linux but loving it :D

aay
05-24-2003, 07:13 AM
Basic questions like this are answered in the Docs section of this site (or in this case by opting for the F2 option at boot to see cheat codes) so you'll want to check there first.

Check out the full listing of cheat codes here:
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes

garyng
05-24-2003, 08:12 AM
what if I want to change it after the window manager/desktop manager is loaded ? Is that possible at all ?

On a related issue, I read in the tips and tricks forum that I can enable xdm/kdm/gdm to present a graphic login on each virtual console, so is it possible to have different window manager loaded after login ?

Dave_Bechtel
05-24-2003, 09:29 PM
--In this case, boot into runlevel 2 (' knoppix 2 ') and use xinit:

' su knoppix '
' whereis wmaker '
' xinit /usr/bin/wmaker '

--After you exit wmaker, you can repeat the process for other window managers - or even sign on as another user simultaneously and either ' startx -- :1 ' or xinit blah -- :1.

what if I want to change it after the window manager/desktop manager is loaded ? Is that possible at all ?

On a related issue, I read in the tips and tricks forum that I can enable xdm/kdm/gdm to present a graphic login on each virtual console, so is it possible to have different window manager loaded after login ?

JockVSJock
08-12-2003, 04:27 PM
Don't mean to hijack this thread.

But I've apt-get Gnome because I want to use GTK+ libraries, and I've used the following command line to switch from KDE to Gnome

Knoppix desktop=Gnome

But it did not change.

Did I do this right?

thanks

kaplanfx
08-12-2003, 06:31 PM
take a look at the cheatcodes (they are linked to in a previous post in this thread) and at the very bottom you will see that in knoppix 3.2 desktop=gnome is no longer a valid code.

JockVSJock
08-13-2003, 12:10 AM
take a look at the cheatcodes (they are linked to in a previous post in this thread) and at the very bottom you will see that in knoppix 3.2 desktop=gnome is no longer a valid code.

Chatting with folks on freenet #knoppix, and there are claims that Knoppix only comes on the DVD

Or i could try the following:

apt-get -t unstable gnome

Is this correct?

kaplanfx
08-17-2003, 07:18 AM
I think you meant gnome only comes on the DVD, as knoppix is definately avialable on CD. You could try to get it with apt but if you are on the livecd that may be a bit too big for the ramdrive. Goodluck :)

-Kaplanfx

Dave_Bechtel
08-17-2003, 07:52 AM
--On a related note... Installed to HD, I wanted to use VNC to access my remote X desktop - and pretty much no matter what I did, it would always load KDE instead of sawfish. I googled around and finally found a suggestion that worked:

o Create ~/.xsession like so: # BEGIN ~/.xsession

# NOTE: This file is necessary for VNC to load the correct wmgr
# w/o loading KDE

# WINDOWMANAGER="fvwm2"
# WINDOWMANAGER="icewm"
#WINDOWMANAGER="wmaker"
WINDOWMANAGER="sawfish"

rxvt &
exec $WINDOWMANAGER &

## END

--I did a chmod +x on it as well, not sure if this is absolutely necessary. Also note that if /usr/bin is not in your $PATH, you should specify where the windowmanager lives in the variable declaration.

--Now when you start vncserver it will load sawfish. (I'm pretty much sure this will change how ' startx ' works as well but haven't tried it.)

On using knoppix 3.2 it drops you in to the deffault desktop KDE.
How would you then change over to other desktops such as Windomaker or Gnome Etc... Is this done with a command in a terminal window ? or do you type in commands on boot up ? or can you do it easy from GUI
Would realy like to know

Thanks in advance for help.
Newbie to linux but loving it :D