PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix doesnt show up.

birdsixone
02-24-2007, 09:01 PM
I have installed Knoppix 5.1.1 DVD Version to my harddrive. I set it up as a debian install and made it install grub in the MBR. When I boot up all that shows up though is Windows XP MEDIA Edition and Windows Vista. I dont even think grub is showing up. I think the boot.ini is just showing up instead. How would I go in and add Knoppix which is on my /dev/sda4 ? Before when I installed the CD Version everything worked fine but for some reason I cant get the DVD version to show up. How would I add my knoppix install on /dev/sda4 to my boot list?

mtodorov_69
03-05-2007, 03:11 PM
If boot.ini is consulted, then grub is not in the MBR, but Windows standard MBR. Perhaps you installed Vista after Knoppix (Kanotix)?

Try to boot again from DVD and check whether the /dev/sda4 in in /boot/grub/menu.lst
If it is, then somehow grub stage 1 loader was phased out of MBR and you'll need to reinstall grub in MBR.

Do a:

# apt-get install grub-doc

and see ``3.3 Installing GRUB using grub-install'' chapter.

AFAIR, the image on Kanotix is under /boot, so you may need to use --root-directory=/boot to grub-install, but see the manual. I haven't tried it yet myself (this information is just because no one else replied), so be careful and read three times, or you might leave a non-bootable system after running grub-install.

In that case, just reboot from DVD. And DO BACK UP IMPORTANT FILES PRIOR TO ALL OF THIS! (sorry for shouting)

Marv