PDA

View Full Version : black screen at x

ShadStar
02-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Hi guys, I humbly request a little help please...

I downloaded the latest version of knoppix and successfully created a cd image, however I am experiencing the same problems as a few others, in that I get two penguins at boot, then a long list of hardware detections, and finally a black screen when the x session starts.

I am using a Pentium 4 Hyperthread cpu (not dual-core) running at around 3GHz and I have 1Gb of DDR2 ram. I am using an nvidia GeForce 7300 GS graphics card. All of this seems to be correctly identified at initial boot time.

When trying to start the x session, I noticed that the monitor was immediately going out of frequency even though the detection had the monitor frequency correct, so I used the 'knoppix screen=800x600 knoppix xvrefresh=60' switches and managed to get the monitor to stay in frequency but I still get a totally black screen with no x session. I could however successfully boot to level 2 using the 'knoppix 2' switch.

This is a similar problem to the following post:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26729
I didn't want to hijack his post so I have posted seperately as a courtesy.

I did try and follow the advice given in the above-mentioned post but I am only using a boot cd, not a usb pen, and I have no idea how to export the pci.txt and xorg.conf file to my regular hard drive for access in normal windows mode so that I can post them here (sorry guys, I am a total newbie to Linux and have limited or no knowledge of linux commands...)

Please forgive my obvious lack of experience here, this is my very first attempt at trying to boot any form of linux and I am itching to try it, if only I could get past the black screen.

Thanks guys (and gals...)

ShadStar
02-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Well :oops: I figured that one out.
I used the xmodule=vesa and the fb1024x768 options at boot time. I got a screen refresh rate of 76hz(?) but at least it works.

Now all I gotta do is get a driver for my onboard nforce lan card and I'll b ea happy bunny. :lol: 8)