PDA

View Full Version : PCI Graphics card

cogerber
02-28-2007, 06:55 AM
The only way I can boot up Knoppix 5.1 DVD on my machine is to disable my GFORCE FX 5500 PCI card and use my onboard video. Is there a way around this or am I stuck with having to do this. Thanks

Harry Kuhman
02-28-2007, 07:45 AM
Sounds like a strange problem. What happens when running from the PCI graphics card? Maybe the problem is something as simple as the PCI card running at resolutions and/or scan rates beyond the range of the monitor (most likely a too high scan rate, in which case you should be able to use a cheat code to force the scan rate to one acceptable for the monitor). And short of removing the PCI card, how do you "disable" it and use the on-board video? Beyound these thoughts you'll likely have to give us a better idea of what is happening and a breakdown of all the hardware including the monitor before we can guide you well.

cogerber
03-01-2007, 07:13 PM
and just Well my Fx 5500 works with my monitor (E-Machine Flat CRT) running xp just fine. On xp i have it on 1024x768 and only 60 hertz but it can do 85htz at that setting. I just go into my bios-cmos and disable the PCI video card and enable the onboard video which is an intel extreme. My machine runs a 1.8ghz celeron, 756mb of pc2100, 60gig HD and I am using the DVD version 5.1. Hope this gives you a little more info and THANKS!

Harry Kuhman
03-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Well, I hope someone else usig a fx 5500 joins in here, but have you tried using cheat codes to force a resolution and scan rate that you know that you can work with? You could even test the use of cheat codes in you present on-board confguration and then once you were comfortable that it was working as desired switch to the PCI card and see if the codes corrected the problem.

cogerber
03-02-2007, 05:59 AM
Cool I will try that. I let you know how it goes. Thanks

einfallslos
03-24-2007, 10:36 PM
got the same problem, as soon as there're 2 graphic cards (one onboard and one "real") installed, knoppix doesn't boot any longer.
as i've said in another thread, i can't disable the onboard vga completely ...

any solution ?