PDA

View Full Version : Locked out from persistent image during test drive

tjashmore
03-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Been running Knoppix for a couple weeks now, just getting settled in, and I love it. This really is the Swiss Army knife of distributions, it even recognized my video input card.
Which is why this is so frustrating.
Getting right to the point, I used Synaptic to update Konqueror, and now, on boot, KDE wants a password, which is presumably locked.
I'm running Knoppix 5.0.1.
I thought, okay, I'll just set it to runlevel 2, check the box to overwrite system settings on the disk image, and use passwd at the shell.
No dice. It ignores the 2 cheatcode and goes right ahead to the KDE graphical login, which has no option to drop to a shell.
So I thought I'll just let it boot straight from the CD (with the ramdisk cheatcode) and ignore the persistent image, then mount the image just long enough to get my stuff, (I bought a few MP3s, loaded some images from my camera, and my firefox bookmarks) and burn it to CD. A big pain in the butt since I'll have to reload all my settings, but since I'm just about ready to install permanently, it's no real biggie.
Thwarted again, I've been looking for almost three hours, and I cannot figure out how to mount the image. It's sitting right there on hda6, it's not encrypted, I just don't know how to mount it.
So, is there a way to get back to where I was (booting normally), or at least get my stuff back? The whole reason I dumped Windows in the first place was to avoid crazy stuff like this.
Thanks very much in advance!