PDA

View Full Version : No internet conection - Dec-tulip

AzRobert
03-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Help

I have a dell dimension 4500, network card shows as dec-tulip

Knoppix v4 boots live and find card and has internet connection

Knoppix v5.1 will not ?

Ran netwrk config app shows failed? - terminal - pump -s , does show box has a ip address,

Any idea on how come I can not connect as via web browers ?

Thanks

Harry Kuhman
03-03-2007, 06:55 PM
.... does show box has a ip address, ....
A lot more information about your setup might be helpful, but if the above quoted text is correct then I have to assume the card is indeed working. As to what might be your problem, we have seen some scattered reports of some users with certain ISPs having issues with IP4 vs IP6, apparently something that versions 5.x finds since there is some IP6 support in Knoppix now. The problem seems dependent on your ISPs DNS server, if I recall correctly. Off-hand I don't have a link to the other thread where this has been discussed, but a search for ip6 should find it.

JohnnyH
03-04-2007, 11:42 AM
It would help if you would post the results of
ifconfig eth0
(or whatever your interface is).
In any case, you say you have its IP address, which would no doubt have been allocated by your router or cable modem as the case might be unless you set it up manually - you may need it (see below).

Is MTU less than 1500 (e.g.64) ?
Then enter
ifconfig eth0 mtu 1500

and/or

you might have to invoke netcardconfig, respond NO to DHCP question, and enter your IP address as found above.

BTW this might be applicable: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26867