PDA

View Full Version : Can't start KDE from CHROOT environment as knoppix user

mrpotes
03-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Hi all,

I've been using the remastering howto to successfully create a remastered ISO. However, there are some further changes I'd like to make to the knoppix user's KDE environment.

To try and do this, I have been following the instructions here (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto#Launching_KDE_to_Change_ Menus.2C_Icons.2C_etc.).

To start with, I assumed that these instructions were to be executed starting in the chroot'ed root-user shell, from within the knoppix build environment, but when I tried switching to run level 2 using the 'init 2' command, I get a permissions error.

In order to try and work round this, I came out of the chroot environment, took the whole system to 'init 2', and then chrooted again. As root I could now start kde, but when switching to the knoppix user I get a load of errors when running startx.

Does anyone have any advice on what I might be doing wrong? Any suggestions will be very gratefully received!!

Cheers,
MrP.

PS - I'm using Knoppix v5.1.1[/url]

boski
03-05-2007, 09:27 AM
hi

there's an alternative solution to ur problem. Instead of switching to init 2 u can start xserver on different console.
what u can do is: -
> skip the init 2 step
> before switching to user knoppix do the follwing: -

1> change the permission of /tmp: chmod 777 /tmp
2> export DISPLAY=localhost:1
3>vi /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config
Change the line:
allowed_users=console
to:
allowed_users=anybody

> su knoppix
> startx /usr/bin/startkde --:1

if u do not change the permissions of /tmp when starting as knoppix user u'll get error of permission denied.

this worked for me.

regards
-boski

mrpotes
03-14-2007, 12:20 PM
That's worked perfectly - thanks very much!

MrP