PDA

View Full Version : Will Knoppix Help Save My Files From Extinction?

ukchris
03-06-2007, 02:25 PM
I have had problems with my PC recently. I think it's a hardware issue. It kept crashing all of the time so I tried a system restore, and unforuntately it crashed half way through.

Now when I try to boot XP, I get to the login screen and try to enter my password. The mouse works fine but everything freezes as soon as I use my keyboard.

I tried a program called Bart to retrieve the files without XP, but although I can see my files, they amount to 0kbs, presumably because I haven't entered my password or XP encryption.

Therefore my question is: If I booted my computer using Knoppix, could I retrieve my files? Or does anybody know any other way?

Greatly appreciated! :D

ukchris
03-06-2007, 02:34 PM
Just to clarify, I'm essentially asking: if Bart wouldn't save my files, will Knoppix? I am worried I won't be able to retrieve the files because I have my PC setup so that nobody can access my documents etc. unless they have entered my password for my account. Is that true? And if so, is there a way around this?

RHCA
03-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Well lets see if your dat is protected only by XP 4 sure but If you encrypted your hole HD its not good
Good luck 8)

ckamin
03-20-2007, 06:13 AM
If there is a hardware failure, it would most likely fail under Knoppix also. You can try Knoppix and see what happens. Knoppix can usually read from XP partitions quite well, but if the drive is encrypted, you may be SOL. I would also try to see what the hardware issue might be and see if there is a way to correct it. The hard drive can also be removed and read in another system if the drive is not affected. The drive could also be corrupted. XP has sometimes had a habit of unexpectedly doing just that. If so, the recovery of your data is now a different issue. You may be able to recover the drive if it is mechanically sound. There are tools that can repair the MBR and more.