PDA

View Full Version : Where is all the networking configuration stored?

SiKing
03-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Hi all,

I am installing Gentoo, and using Knoppix to kick-start the install. I have managed to get to the point where I have to define all of the Networking Configuration in Gentoo. In Gentoo, according to the Install Handbook, everything is stored in /etc/conf.d/net. Unfortunately, Knoppix does not have an /etc/conf.d. :cry: My question is: where do I look in Knoppix for hints and how do I translate that into Gentoo-speak for all Networking.
Also important: I am currently installing on a box that is connected "directly to the Internet", through DHCP. I expect this one to be easy, as Knoppix detects everything without any trouble or input from me. I will be later doing this on a second box, where I first (under Knoppix) need to run the ADSL/PPPOE configuration - which works fine after I answer Yes to all questions, but where are the "results" stored.

Thank You.

hal8000
03-06-2007, 08:09 PM
I'm not a networking expert but think its stored under

/etc/init.d/networking

SiKing
06-06-2007, 08:43 AM
In case anyone is reading this, I found the answer to my question: the settings between the two are not compatible. :( Fortunately, Gentoo is well documented (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=4)! :D