PDA

View Full Version : Connection using bestdata 56SX92 serial external modem

bhawns
03-09-2007, 01:46 AM
I got knoppix 3.4 64bit, It looks great and runs real well. For me there is two things getting online and configuring LILO to dual boot Windows XP Pro. So first thing I got an external modem serial. I did the install based on SUSE. Did the modem configure dev/TTYS0= com1, the modem querry =unable to open modem, meaning can`t get anywhere.
I am familiar with but not LILO need a little help setting up xp to boot.

Harry Kuhman
03-09-2007, 02:03 AM
Your LILO issue has nothing to do with Networking and should be posted in a different thread in a different forum, most likely the HDD install forum.

There's a 64 bit version of Knoppix 3.4? Where did you find that? I've seen a newer 64 bit version, but not a 3.4 version. Sevearl things that you might want to look at for the serial modem part of your problem: do you have a problem when running from a CD (there are often networking problems after trying to "install" Knoppix to hard disk)? Does the modem problem occur with a normal version of Knoppix from CD, or only with this non-standard 64 bit remaster? If you can't get the modem working when running from a CD then focus on that and don't complicate it with the hard disk install, if it works fine from CD then it's important to know that.

I don't use a dial-up modem so I don't think I can be much help there, but I couldn't quite follow what command you used to try to configure the system. Are you using the PPPoE configuration?

bhawns
03-11-2007, 01:48 AM
Actually, it did`nt work with the live CD and I used the modem dialer to setup the connection.