PDA

View Full Version : Desparately seeking CDRW / DVD

Tortoise
05-24-2003, 08:57 PM
I have successfully installed Knoppix 3.2, and used mkdesktophdicons to find my harddrives, but I cannot find my cdrw/dvd or my dvd player (I have two).
I don't think there is a hardware problem, as the cd player will play music cds from at least one of them, and some command or other I was messing with tolkd me that they are both there:
scsibus 0
0,0,0 0) RW/DVD
0,1,0 1) DVDROM

SCSIbus 1
1,0,0 100) Floppy

How to I access these from the desktop, and ideally put icons to them on the desktop?
Thanks

aay
05-24-2003, 11:31 PM
Before you ran mkdesktophdicons did you do "rebuildfstab -r" as root? Until recently I thought that this would get the icons back on the desktop successfully. In fact it does put the icons there, but getting them to work actually requires a little more effort. Here's what you need to do. Assuming you have done what's mentioned above ("rebuildfstab -r" as root and "mkdesktophdicons" as a normal user) then you need to do the following:

First you must open /etc/fstab in a text editor (as root). You can open a shell, log in as root, and type the following: kedit /etc/fstab (I assume that as a newbie you don't want to use vi so kedit will probably work best).

You should see a line like this in fstab:
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0

If this line has a # mark in front of it, then you should delete it.

You should really change the mount point for your cd. It should be listed in fstab as mounted at /cdrom. Change that to /mnt/cdrom.

Save your changes.

Exit the editor.

From the root shell type this: "cd /mnt" and then "mkdir /cdrom" (edit: this is wrong as indicated by the error message below! sorry. after you cd into /mnt you should just type "mkdir cdrom")

We are almost done.

Go to your desktop.

Remove the icon that should have been made when you ran mkdesktophdicons.

Right click on the destkop and selcet "Create New" and then "CD/DVD-ROM Device"

Select the "Device" tab at the top.

From the pull down menu select your CD/DVD device (in the case above it would be /dev/cdrom.

Click "Ok" at the bottom of window and then your icon should be on the desktop and working.

If you want, you can also delete the cdrom directory from / (root directory).

Let us know if there are problems.

Tortoise
05-25-2003, 12:49 AM
yep, I did run rebuildfstab -r as boot, although I don't understand what that does...

I opened /etc/fstab as root.

The line (after I added /mnt) reads:
/dev/cdrom /mnt iso9600 defaults, ro, user, noexec, noauto 0 0

There is no #

I type cd /mnt, fine, then mkdir /cdrom, and get [mkdir: cannot create directory '/cdrom': File exists]

I delete all of the cd rom icons from the desktop (they don't work anyway)
Go to create new cd/dvd. select device, and choose either
/dev/cdrom (/mnt/cdrom)
or /dev/sda (/mnt/sda)

When I click on the new icon I get Error - KDesktop
Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: mount point /mnt/cdrom does not exist

There is a cd in each drive.

When I select sda, the disc spins, and opens, but all of the dirs and files are random nonsense (not even alphanumerics, they are little squares and foreign chars), and don't seem to bear any reselmblance to the read file contents.

Any thoughts?
Thanks a lot!

aay
05-25-2003, 01:13 AM
I'm really sorry. I made a mistake in what I told you above (I edited it).

If you just become root and do this: "mkdir /mnt/cdrom", it should work (I posted above to cd into /mnt first, but that isn't necessary - just as long as you specify the full path which in this case is /mnt/cdrom.) You still need to make the desktop icon as stated above, but when you do it should work.

Tortoise
05-25-2003, 01:33 AM
That's the puppy! I have my CDRW/DVD drive working fine now, thanks!
How do I get my second cd / dvd drive to be recognised, and how do I distinguish the two?
Thanks for the help,

Tortoise
05-25-2003, 01:40 AM
Also where do I find this using knoqueror?

Stephen
05-25-2003, 01:41 AM
That's the puppy! I have my CDRW/DVD drive working fine now, thanks!
How do I get my second cd / dvd drive to be recognised, and how do I distinguish the two?
Thanks for the help,

Make a directory /mnt/dvd and use that for the mount point and name the icon for the desktop DVD. Also check the entry in the fstab for the drive.

In the location bar in Konqueror just enter /mnt/cdrom as you are typing you will see a partial completion use the arrow to select if you wish.

Tortoise
05-25-2003, 02:00 AM
Sorry, I don't see an entry in fstab - how do I put one in, I mean how do I know which params to use?
Thanks

Stephen
05-25-2003, 02:23 AM
Just make it the same as your other one except change the /dev/hd? and the /mnt/cdrom to /mnt/dvd if that is the mount point you created.

Tortoise
05-25-2003, 03:17 AM
Thanks - now they both (the new one and the one that previously pointed to my cdrw) point to my dvd drive...
I know I'm doing something wrong...
Thanks for your patience...

Tortoise
05-25-2003, 03:18 AM
Oops, sorry, they both point to the original one, not the other dvd drive.

Tortoise
05-25-2003, 03:20 AM
In properties, one is pointing to /dev/cdrom, and the other to /dev/dvd, so the problem is I don't know how to point them to different drives...

Stephen
05-25-2003, 03:48 AM
Which different drives? You have one cdrw/dvd and one dvd right and now you have two icons one which points to the cdrw/dvd and one to the seperate dvd. You can access both the cdrw and the dvd from the cdrw/dvd icon for the combo drive if that is what you are asking.

aay
05-25-2003, 04:14 AM
Tortoise,

Could you post the entire contents of /etc/fstab? I think it will be easier for us to hep you then.

Adam

Tortoise
05-25-2003, 07:51 AM
Stephen,
Sorry for the confusion, I will post my fstab, right now I have two icons, in the properties one says /dvd and the other /cdrw, but in fact they both open the same drive when you click on them.

Tortoise
05-25-2003, 08:12 AM
Here we go:

# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda3 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda5 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0

# partitions found by Knoppix
#/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
#/dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
#/dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
#/dev/sda /mnt/sda vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/sda /mnt/sda vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0

Stephen
05-25-2003, 08:29 AM
Here we go:

/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0

There's your problem. It should be /dev/scd1 for your dvd drive and if you want you can change the /dev/cdrom to /dev/scd0 also and update the icons on the desktop and you should be able to access as long as you made the /dvd directory.