PDA

View Full Version : Installing New Programs

TommyHill
03-09-2007, 03:52 AM
There's a good personal information management program (PIM) called Kontact on Knoppix 3.9 and I would like to bring this program into Knoppix 5.1 I looked in the resource directory of available programs on Knoppix 5.1 and Kontact is no where to be found... Can someone give some advice on how to install this program form 3.9 to 5.1...

or does the DVD version of Knoppix include Kontact or Korganizer...

Any advice will be much appreciated...

Harry Kuhman
03-09-2007, 04:23 AM
You might own a laptop, but this question seems completely unrelated to laptops. It will be moved out of the Laptop forum. Since you are asking about installing other software I'm going to guess you've decided that installing Knoppix is a good idea, so the post will be moved to the HDD install forum.

There are package lists for both the CD and DVD on the mirror that will tell you what is included on each version of the current release.

onemyndseye
03-09-2007, 06:41 AM
As root, issue the following:

apt-get install kontact

to install Kontact :)

Take Care,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye

TommyHill
03-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Kontact is not found in the Knoppix 5.1 CD It's actually located on another version of Knoppix 3.9. I was wondering if I can copy it from one CD and install it in the other... it's just an idea.

or Kontact can also be downloaded from the origiinal website as a tarball... I'm not sure what to do with it after the downloaded.

http://kontact.kde.org/

I could not open the downloaded file... I thought the file would open like a zip file...

onemyndseye
03-09-2007, 08:41 AM
"... I was wondering if I can copy it from one CD ...."

For a simple explanation ... it doesnt work that way :)

Let apt do the work for ya :) ... or do you not have a internet connection when working with Knoppix?

' apt-get install kontact ' will download all needed files and install them automatically.

unfortunally if you are running from the LiveCD you will probably have to do this every time you want to use it.... Nothing but remastering the CD and creating your own custom version will get around this... Creating a persistant home diectory might - But no promises

According to the package list found at ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/DVD/packages-dvd.txt ... Kontact is included on the DVD

TommyHill
03-09-2007, 03:43 PM
I tried "apt-get inatall kontact" without success... this is the message I received :

knoppix@Knoppix:~$ su
root@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# apt-get install kontact
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Package kontact is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package kontact has no installation candidate

I was hoping to save Kontact in the home persistant directory. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a DVD player. The DVD version of Knoppix seems to have everything...

TommyHill
03-10-2007, 02:02 AM
I was wondering... is it possible to create a persistent home directory to store configurations when running Knoppix entirely from ram. I heard if you have 1 gig of ram, you can operate Knoppix entirely from memory...