PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection dies after a few minutes; need help

Arthur Abramovitch
03-10-2007, 06:32 AM
I have a Dell Inspiron 2500 connected to a Verizon VX8300 cell phone via USB. The phone accesses the internet properly under Windows XP using VZAccess Manager.

I am using Knoppix Live CD version 5.1.0 and have configured the Kppp dialer so that I can access the internet using
/devttyACMO. I tried the other modem options but I could not connect to the internet at all with them.

My problem is that the internet connection only works for about 2 minutes. Then I get the following message:

"pppd daemon died unexpectedly. Exit status 15"

I would appreciate any advice I can get that would help me understand my problem and hopefully suggestions to make whatever changes are needed to fix the problem.

Thank you.
Arthur

hal8000
03-14-2007, 10:50 AM
All I am willing to admit is that I have had a nasty problem like this before on dialup, which was a timeout problem with kppp.

In your case, particularly as youre connecting via a mobile phone, its possible that you may need to alter the value of
echo-lcp-requests or lcp-echo-failure in /etc/ppp/options, or if these are set, comments them out. This is one mechanism where the pppd daemon can terminate a connection. On my laptop (running Debian Etch) these alues are set to 30 and 4 respectively.

However, I would suggest you look for clues in /var/log/messages and syslog.
There are some obvious things to check first, there is no timeout in kppp, and that if your laptop has builtin wireless network, turn this off if possible, as it may interfere with the signal from your mobile.
HTH

Arthur Abramovitch
03-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Thank you for replying to my message.

I will try the things you suggest.

The process of getting the phone onto the internet using Linux has been difficult but also interesting.

Thanks again.
Arthur

Arthur Abramovitch
03-15-2007, 12:06 AM
I followed you advice and have been able to solve the timeout problem.

I had to set the edit echo-lcp to 0 and edit lcp-echo failure to 0. Then the timeout problem was solved.

Thank you very much.

Arthur