PDA

View Full Version : Persistent Desktop

Fimble
03-11-2007, 12:32 AM
Hello all,
I have created a persistent desktop image on my USB flash drive.
This is great and works well until I use it in another machine here at home, as I have come to understand it the Knoppix/Knoppix-image is just that, and image of my machine at the time of creation, and stores the Drives in the fstab and possible the mtab too under etc/
My question is, if anyone would be kind enough to answer it, is there a way for the drives to be recognised on a machine other than the one the image was created on?
Example is, one PC here has a CD rom Drive only and one HDD(hda1), this is saved on the image.
On the other machine, there are two HDD with partitions on (hda1, hda3, hda5) these are not recognised by the image.
Is there any way of making the image dynamic and recognising and machine HDD? Also there is a DVD rewriter drive and a DVD rom drive, recognised as DVD and DVD hdd, I can get these to mount. It is the hard drives I have a problem with.
I can and do get them to mount if a insert another USB drive into another port, then somehow the missing drives appear, however when I shut down and remove the USB, place it into the original machine and reboot the hard drives from the other machine still show on the desktop, obviously when click upon they return an error.
I had a look at fstab and mtab and I saw that they are files that the mount gets written to, when unmounted the info relating is removed automatically.
This is the sum of my knowledge and I need help, I am part way through reading a book on the subject and am growing increasingly frustrated !!!
I did not want to have to ask as I wanted the satisfaction of finding a possible remedy myself but now am stumped.
If you could help I would be most appreciative
Thank you
Nic