PDA

View Full Version : LILO help for dual boot windows xp pro

bhawns
03-11-2007, 01:56 AM
Good evening folks I have installed knoppix 3.4 64bit and LILO is the bootloader. I need some help setting it up to boot WinXP Pro. How do I edit LILO so XP shows up on the list?

RHCA
03-17-2007, 04:03 PM
I have used knoppix in my HD only since 5.0 I dont know if it installs LILO but I know that now installs grub as the bootloader, If its Grub it will be auto configurated I suggest to install the newest version of Knoppix

jorrigal
03-20-2007, 01:42 PM
I have used knoppix in my HD only since 5.0 I dont know if it installs LILO but I know that now installs grub as the bootloader, If its Grub it will be auto configurated I suggest to install the newest version of Knoppix

can u please tell me how to install knoppix into harddisk without disturbing the WinXP. I have downloaded the grub-1.95.tar.gz and grub-1.95.tar.gz.sig. I extracted the grub-1.95.tar.gz and it contain boot, command, conf and lot more files(consist of 46 items).

Please be patience and explain step by step how to install knoppix.

RHCA
03-20-2007, 03:16 PM
OK, I'm 13 old so sorry id if you dont understand this or I dont answer you inmedeatly because im @ school
OK first what is not perturb Win XP?
OK then if you got internet from your knoppix install this works in Debian and should in knoppix if im right and im remembering it good:

1st ok open a command line and: apt-get install grub grub-doc
2nd grub-install /dev/hda Using in place of /dev/hda the device that you boot from
3rd: update-grub This creates the menu.lst (the table of partitions)
4th then lets edit the boot list: editor /boot/grub/menu.lst go and read the grub manual and how to add OSes here:http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html and if you cant then answer me.
5th: apt-get remove lilo to say goodbye to LILO dpkg --purge lilo to say goodbaye to its configuration files

Good luck
8)